Thread: Spybot S&D Immunization Incompatible with GMail on Firefox

Default Spybot S&D Immunization Incompatible with GMail on Firefox

Hi,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I believe I have found an compatibility problem with SpyBot S&D's Immunization on the Firefox browser when attempting to view Google's GMail website in its standard mode.

I use Firefox 3.5 and SpyBot S&D 1.6.2.46. After installing it I ran the Immunization function for my browsers. Afterward while attempting to view GMail I kept getting a message from GMail saying that it could not load all of its features and that I should use the basic HTML version of the site.

I tried to remove the immunization from Firefox however that didn't seem to work.

Finally I had to back up my Firefox profile, uninstall/reinstall Firefox, and restore my profile to get proper access to GMail again.

This message is more for people who may also be having this problem so that they know how to fix it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSofty View Post
    Hi,
    I tried to remove the immunization from Firefox however that didn't seem to work.

Finally I had to back up my Firefox profile, uninstall/reinstall Firefox, and restore my profile to get proper access to GMail again.
    I use Firefox 3.5.5 and SpyBot S&D 1.6.2.46 and have no problems with GMail standard or basic HTML mode.

Do you mean that you couldn't remove the Firefox immunizations, or could but still couldn't get access?

More than likely, something had borked your Firefox profile, or you had some Firefox extension that caused the problems. Others have also reported that some antivirus or firewall programs cause these problems. Changing security programs has eliminated some problems.

Hi JRSofty,
    If you meant you undid Spybot's immunisation and still couldn't access GMail, then obviously the problem does not lie with Spybot as the immunisation function doesn't leave any 'remnants' after it is undone.

First I would try accessing GMail through 'Firefox (Safe Mode)' (you can access it via your start menu in the 'Firefox' folder) which disables all your add-ons. If you find you can access GMail, one or more of your add-ons is at fault. In regular Firefox, with all the addons disabled, go through and enable one at a time and then attempt to access GMail until you find the culprit.

If you find you still can't access GMail even with all add-ons disabled, I would try creating a new Firefox profile and seeing if you can access GMail through it. If you find you can, then your it's your old profile that is the problem.

If neither work it could be a compatibility problem with other security programs as Gopher John already stated.

Best regards,
    Last edited by honda12; 2009-11-29 at 02:37.