Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usb flash stick with a virus infected my computer

dont laugh or anything but my sister got on the computer and closed scotty along with all the other anitvirus stuff now i am really in trouble my reg and task manager wont start i cant fix the problem like last time this virus is smarter or so it may seem, the key when deleted reinstalls it self were it was
    and is causeing me alot of trouble. sorry for the inconvenience but i think we might have to start over trust me i was so angery and sad that i laughed also.

a wise man once said" its good to laugh at somethings, for laughter is the best medicine for one's mind and soul"

im really sorry for what she did i managed to figure out what happened a virus in the avast chest got out i dont know how but it did all this, it was a infected file thats for sure it was winpatrolex.exe it was infected but i know that it was a file needed for it to run their was a .dll file in winpatrols folder wasnt sure if i had seen it before so i just deleted it all. hope me and my sister arent much of a trouble for you.
    sorry again. i will keep her off this computer untill its fixed, i hope

Security Expert-Emeritus

You obviously didn't read my previous post properly.

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    You have a file infector on your machine.
    There is very little that can be done in these situations, a reformat is the only real option.
    This machine needs to be formatted.

This system is infected with a polymorphic file infector called Sality. Sality is capable of infecting all the machine's executable files (.exe) and screensaver files (.scr). As of now, security experts suggest that a format and clean install, or destructive recovery if you have an OEM recovery partition, is the best way to clean the infection and it is the best and safest way to return the machine to its normal working state.

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, etc) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (softwares) and screensavers (*.scr). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr files by appending itself to the executable.

Do not back up to another machine, as it may become compromised. Burn to DVD/CD, or to an external drive which has nothing else on it, and which you can format should it happen to become infected from the backups.

See miekiemoes' blog for similar comments here:
    http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2009/...-throwing.html
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2009 -2010
    If we have helped, please consider a donation
    THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THIS USER ONLY

thanks for your help so far i really wanted to format my cpu but my sister is really bugging me about it as i wont really backup that much do you think their is a way i can hack into the reg i need some of my reg keys for i have lost the box's\case's for them. but i still have the cd's and stuff.
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-12-03 at 19:13. Reason: Date of Archive

Security Expert-Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    do you think their is a way i can hack into the reg i need some of my reg keys for i have lost the box's\case's for them. but i still have the cd's and stuff.
    Since I don't know which programs you thinking of, there is no way I can say if the registration key is available in the registry.

You would need to contact the author/company of each program.

Once you have reformatted, ensure you have disabled Autoruns and have an up to date Antivirus scanner installed before you use your USB drives.

How To Disable Autorun
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2009 -2010
    If we have helped, please consider a donation
    THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THIS USER ONLY