Thread: Non-response

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Non-response

Hello,

While no one here is under any obligation to help those who come looking for assistance, if you are going to go to the trouble of making such an offer, it should be followed up on.

Awhile back, I laid out a malware problem I was experiencing:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=52843
    I included an abundance of data to assist the mods here toward analyzing my situation.
    I waited...and waited...then waited some more without anyone taking up my case.
    Finally, I said the heck with it and saved what I could of my files, reformatted my HD, then reinstalled my OS.

As it turned out, I had the Evil Virut infection, so I likely would have had to have wiped everything out and reinstalled it anyway.
    It just would have been nice to have had someone here follow thru and tell me that.
    Just sayin'...

Hi spykat,

Volunteer malware removal helpers are providing a free service out their own time and unfortunately not all cases can be tended to quickly all the time.

You replied to your own malware removal thread. Malware removal analysts tend to look for threads with 0 replies and by increasing your reply count to 1 you further delayed a response from an analyst. Tashi already explained this to you here: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...96&postcount=3

I'm glad your computer is now clean but in future to avoid situations like this where logs don't get analysed, please read and follow the "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) instructions.

Best regards,

honda

Dear Honda,

Thank you for your speedy reply.
    I can appreciate, and in fact noted that the people here who provide log analysis are doing so on a voluntary basis.

My reply to myself was posted 3 days after my initial post, in order to ask of someone might be helping me out anytime soon.
    Perhaps that was incorrect protocol, but one would think someone would have taken my case between the time it was first posted, until it was placed in the archives ("dead").

No matter, it is all fixed now, and besides, I had the feeling I would be fingered as being "in the wrong" when I wrote this follow-up anyway.

Esteemed Member

Though I haven't bothered to read those instructions for quite a while as I've never really needed them, I believe you should have made your request after 4 days in a special thread made for that purpose at the top of the forum. I also recall that most wait from 3 days and up for help, even when there isn't an overload and this was fairly evident from glancing theough other posts.

What I really came here to mention though, is that anyone capable of wiping and rebuilding their own system is really far better off to do that from both a speed and security assurance standpoint. This is simply due to the fact that no one can absolutely guarantee that everything has been detected and removed and all of this takes time.

Even the simplest infections can take days to remove with guided help, so if you fully understand the ramifications (data backup, protection during initial OS setup, etc.) of a rebuild and have the time, you'll generally be done more quickly and also have a better idea of your final status.

Bitman

Bitman,

...as I found out.

Unfortunately a major contributor passed away and another was in hospital.

Our volunteers did and do manage to give their very best.

Everyone have a nice weekend.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi Tashi,

So sorry to hear of the passing of one contributor.
    I wish a speedy recovery to the other fellow.