Thread: Lost SDHelper to latest Avast debacle...

Default Lost SDHelper to latest Avast debacle...

...is there a simple way to get it back? A download link perhaps?

Thanks

Default Sorry

Did you delete the file? Deleting dll's, is never a good thing. I'd reccommend, uninstalling, then reinstalling Spybot. However, after unistalling spybot, update your avast antivirus, (both the iAVS and program) then reboot your PC. Then install Spybot. Avast released a patch to the antivirus definitions, that was targeting spybot and other program files and generating false positives.

Hello,

With Avast Antivirus Database Update (VPS: 091203-0, 12/03/2009) they detect our software Spybot - Search & Destroy and some of it's files as a trojan (Win32:Delf-MZG).

This is a false positive and it has already been fixed by Avast. Please update your Avast from the previous version which has the issue: 091203-0, to the updated fix: 091203-1. Then update the program itself, from version: 4.8.1356, to the updated version: 4.8.1368. Restart your computer.

That should fix it.

This has also been discussed in our forum and in the Avast Forum.

To get back your Spybot:
    Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link.
    Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website.

Or choose the direct installation file.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for the quick reply and the step-by-step. I was hoping to avoid a reinstall but, oh well...

According to some forums that are addressing this it seems that in some instances Avast was deleting files on it's own even though it was set to manual. That's what happened here. I wouldn't intentionally delete a dll. I'm still worried about what I might not yet be aware of beyond just SB since I seemed to have no control. My Avast has already auto-updated to the fix.

PS: Thanks also to spybotsandra. You chimed in as I was typing.

I still have problems.

After the Avast fix I installed the latest version of SB after uninstalling the old from Add/Remove. I had everything checked to install except languages. Install went smoothly and the systray dropdown showed Resident IE et al. All seemed normal.

I did a logoff/logon last night and this morning ran an SB scan. Again all seemed normal.
    I ran a TuneUp utilities registry clean that told me that SDHelper no longer existed. I rechecked the systray dropdown and found Resident IE was gone and the entries below that down to settings. I opened SB and went to tools>resident where both lines were still checked. The first line however could not be unchecked/ rechecked. I closed SB and the systray icon disappeared.
    I rebooted and got the icon back but with the short list.
    I checked the Avast virus chest just in case and found nothing concerning SB.

Something happened between the logoff and now and I have no idea what. Any insights would be appreciated.

Hello,

Have you also updated your Avast like recommended above?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Yes. I've done all that was asked of me. Everything even worked fine for a while.

It took a lot of hunting in the forums yesterday but, I finally found a link to download SDHelper.dll (1.4). I'm not sure if this is the most current version but it is installed and holding so far. At least if it happens again I have an easy fix. I'm hoping it was just a fluke and won't happen again because this really doesn't address the problem.

BTW, my Avast is on auto-update so it was well beyond the "problem". In fact, aside from the virus updates there was a program update less than a day ago as well.
    Last edited by d4l3d; 2009-12-07 at 20:38.