Thread: Long Scan Time + TeaTimer Crazyness

Default Long Scan Time + TeaTimer Crazyness

First off I want to thank tashi for the redirect

Here's what's happened to me in the last couple of days..

Saturday afternoon...

While checking my Yahoo email....my computer shut down just like pulling the power cord on it. I tried pressing the power on button on the face of it (Dell Dimensions 2350...yeah....older)...but every time I got at SOME point to the Desktop screen...it would just shut down again. Did this 4 times....and finally gave up...thinking that my power supply was giving out.

The next day (Sunday) I talked with a good friend that thought pretty much the same thing. A while after our conversation I seemed to remember a similar incident with this computer while I was out in California about 5 years ago....and I "remembered" that he said to "press in the "Start / Power" button on the front of the tower...and hold it in for 30 seconds or so....and it would reset the software that monitors the power supply.

I did that....and I had no more problems with it just shutting down.

Then I remembered that I hadn't updated my SpyBot in close to a month...so I did the update and immunized...but not a scan.

After that "cutout" was fixed....and the SpyBot updates....my Internet / ISP became REALLY slow....about 1/4th of what it used to be.

I got frustrated with it last night....and decided to shut off the computer completely....with thoughts of the power supply.

This morning (Monday)....when I first started the computer....the TeaTimer.exe was going crazy for about 20 minutes...so much so that I finally did an "End Process" in Task Manager....as I thought that MAYBE the file was corrupted or whatever

I then went to Ebay...and my Yahoo email....and STILL had extremely slow service.

I then exited from IEXPLORE (killed it with Task Manager)...then deleted all Internet files (IE7 Browser bar...Tools...Internet Options...Delete).

I then double clicked on the "SpyBot Search and Destroy" icon on my Desktop....and checked for more SpyBot updates...and there were none....so I started a scan.

The scan took OVER 4.5 hours....the longest previous scan I've had in the last year too 1 hr 15 min....so after a while...I started watching things in Task Manager. I ended up with one item found...a 1 kb file called SupSav.Smss32 at location c:\s

Here's my observations.....

For the most part...SypBotSD.exe ate up MOST of my "CPU" usage

But several OTHER things were happening during the scan...

Several other "exe' files kept popping up on the "CPU" usage lies

TeaTimer at points got to 12%

sbsdscan got to +90 several times...as did SDisTestSvc

Other "exe's" that were active during scan were....

Explorer
    lsass
    ctfmon
    svchost

I'm sorry...but a scan that takes 4+ hours is just TOO unreasonbale for me

Your thoughts?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Four hours is definitely too long, even for a scan. What are the specs of your machine?

I assume you do not have any other programs running during a scan?
    Miscellaneous:
    I'm assuming your "power supply" problem was resolved?
    Have you contacted your ISP about the slowdown problem? If it is DSL it sounds like a problem if your internet connection is going very slowly.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes...power supply hasn't given me anymore troubles.

When I did the scan the only other window I had open was Task Manager. See my above post for "exe" files that were active during the scan.

I did contact my ISP yesterday...and the tests we did he said seemed normal.

I have noticed that it seems that websites with a lot of advertising (Yahoo Ebay etc....) are by far the worst since Sunday....so I'm wondering if the advertising companies are just loading more / new stuff on us now?

I'm not having ANY problems with the Forums here OR websites like Cragislist.

Here's my system info...

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz

1.79 GHz, 256 MB RAM

15.1 GB used

12.7 GB free space

Here's a link to the Dell webpage with more info if it will help you...

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...cs.htm#1101572

Not to hijack this thread but, I also am having a 5+ hour scan on reboot (after running SBSD - latest version)

943,539 objects being checked on reboot. 6 problems fixed, 4 could not.

HP dv8000 duo core, 2GB Ram, 500GB free on drives, "no" other programs running since SBSD was run upon reboot. This computer is very fast with all programs.

Is it just that there are 943,539 objects being checked?

Quote Originally Posted by rivermandave View Post
    1.79 GHz, 256 MB RAM
    I guess you need more RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    943,539 objects being checked on reboot. 6 problems fixed, 4 could not.
    Which objects did Spybot find? And which ones couldn't be deleted by Spybot?
    Last edited by Matt; 2010-04-03 at 16:56.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt