Thread: Cannot access www.safer-networking.org

Default Cannot access www.safer-networking.org

I cannot access the website. I get the following message:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.safer-networking.org.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I have the latest firefox. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi paracelcus,

I can access the site fine using Firefox (v3.5).

Can you access safer-networking.org with Internet Explorer?

Regards,

honda
    Last edited by honda12; 2009-11-29 at 16:20.

Esteemed Member

I couldn't last night (with IE 8) but it's OK again today. Probably a temporary choke on the server or somewhere along the internet.

I couldn't access the home page nor the forums yesterday afternoon/evening with Firefox nor Opera. I didn't try IE 8. On doing a traceroute, after the 4th router, all packets were lost. Today, it's fine. I'm on RoadRunner in NW Ohio.

I figured that it was just a local problem, due to the dropped packets. Down For Everyone or Just Me indicated that the site was up and functional.

Exclamation Site Outage: Confirmed

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r234...ost-SD-Updater
    There was a problem yesterday and I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about it on the blogs or on the forums.
    It not only affected site access to http://www.safer-networking.org/ but also the Spybot S&D Update mechanism used to fetch updates.
    The updater would just FREEZE and would fail to provide even a list of other mirrors while the site was down for hours on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyn View Post

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r234...ost-SD-Updater
    There was a problem yesterday and I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about it on the blogs or on the forums.
    It not only affected site access to http://www.safer-networking.org/ but also the Spybot S&D Update mechanism used to fetch updates.
    The updater would just FREEZE and would fail to provide even a list of other mirrors while the site was down for hours on end.
    I couldn't connect to the Web site a few days ago. :(

Default I think there is a definite problem with pc

For several days I have been unable to access the site, I have tried internet explorer as well. I have checked to see if it was in my list of blocked sites and have checked for problems in [about:config] in firefox.

This is the only website I have ever had this happen on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This thread is certainly old but you may have had the problem I do now. My one laptop is loaded up with spyware and the like. I am not able to browse to the site nor have the app download any updates (after downloading from a mirror). I used another healthier laptop to access the site and download the separate update file (with no problems at all).

Installed the prog and updated it on the problem laptop. It seems that one of my infections is blocking access to the site. It's blocking adaware updates too.

I'm looking at a format at this point but thought I should mention that just cuz you can't get to these helpful sites doesn't mean they are down.

I'm gonna add a few smilies right here...

That last one was nice, I like cookies.

Hi there,

If the problem accessing a security site may lie with an infected computer, please follow the instructions in this link to post a preliminary HJT log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum and copy paste the HJT log into it.

If HJT won't run please start a new topic anyway, make note of the situation and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016