Thread: I'd like to add an entry..

Default I'd like to add an entry..

Yes I'd like to add an entry. Avast Antivirus. Seems to do more harm than good...

Hello,

Usually they are a very good antivirus software.
    Every software has false positives from time to time.
    And I have to say they reacted very quick to fix this problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Red face Avast vs Trojans

Quote Originally Posted by AGGROxp View Post
    Yes I'd like to add an entry. Avast Antivirus. Seems to do more harm than good...
    ...Personally, yesterday, after downloading two or three software new versions, I ended up with RealPlayer SP 1.0.5 (in replacement of my 1.0.2). I suddenly got an Avast alarm as I was trying to make a post-installation scan of my PC with SpyBot (I was having problems installing that latest RP SP 1.0.5) and each time I tried to open SB, each time i got this alarm about a trojan on my PC.

The only solution left to me was to start a complete scan of both my system hard drive as well as of my external HD. It took me from about 12 am 'till 11.30 am this morning.

The result was 224 infected files of which about 15 were infected with Zbot-MKK and the rest with Delf-MZG.

In the battle, I lost functionality of SpyBot S&D as well as of RunAlyser, FileAlyser and RegAlyser of which I have just completed re-installation less than an hour ago (all their files were mainly corrupted by Delf-MZG).

Thanks Avast for getting me out of that mud...

Win32:Delf-MZG false positive issue statement has information on restoring the files from the virus Chest which is where they should have been placed unless the user choose to delete the 'infected' files.

Restoring a false positive file from the Virus Chest?

When I got my first alert last night, I clicked on the "No Action" button. I just got alerts on 3 files, one from each of 3 programs. I submitted them all to VirusTotal, and GData and Avast! were the only 2 that said they were infected. I simply shut down until this morning, figuring there would be an update to correct the false positives.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher John View Post
    Win32:Delf-MZG false positive issue statement has information on restoring the files from the virus Chest which is where they should have been placed unless the user choose to delete the 'infected' files.
    ...Thanks for both link and hint: since I've been using Avast! (for over three years), I've never been faced with such an error from them !!! And, most evidently, I have deleted the so called "infected files".

Restoring a false positive file from the Virus Chest?

When I got my first alert last night, I clicked on the "No Action" button. I just got alerts on 3 files, one from each of 3 programs. I submitted them all to VirusTotal, and GData and Avast! were the only 2 that said they were infected. I simply shut down until this morning, figuring there would be an update to correct the false positives.
    ...I never would have thought such a kind of thing could happen with this most appreciated anti-virus !!!

Talking

Never had any other problem with Avast ever since but, maybe, a low down in my fiber connection.