Thread: Blue screens and other computer issues

Default Blue screens and other computer issues

I've been having a whole slew of issues with my HP desktop computer lately, and I'm not sure what the problems are.

It all started last weekend when I turned on my monitor, my computer was on the login screen (as always). But everything was frozen and the keyboard or mouse were not effective. So I did a hard reboot by holding in the power button, then starting back up.

When I started back up, things would load, but when it came to Windows -- with the loading bar going -- a blue screen of death would appear shortly after Windows began to load. The code was:
    Code:
    0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF78C6380, 0xF78C607C, 0x8B5F4805)
    It turned out that the issue was with a system file, such as ntfs.sys or something. I ended up using the HP Recovery tool my system has to reformat the hard drive to factory defaults.

Once that was done, things worked smoothly for a couple of days. But then something caused the computer to restart or turn off, and when it came back on, I got the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. This was the information:
    Code:
    BCCode : 1000008e     BCP1 : C0000005     BCP2 : B4C45362     BCP3 : B47E5A08
    BCP4 : 00000000     OSVer : 5_1_2600     SP : 2_0     Product : 256_1
    I just continued on my merry way, because I didn't know what to do about that. The next day, when I went to boot up my PC (I turn it off at night, on in the morning) it froze at the "welcome" screen. Windows would load fine, etc. but the "Welcome" screen that it shows just before taking you to the desktop would freeze. Mouse and keyboard were unresponsive again.

So I decided to restart and enter the Windows Recovery Console and run a chkdsk /p. It found at least one error, so I ran a chkdsk /r, then another chkdsk /p, and it seemed to have fixed whatever errors it encountered.

I started up, and things worked fine again. I used the computer without trouble. When I went to turn it off, it said Windows updates were available. So it logged off, began to shut-down and said "installing update 1 0f 107". I was surprised that there were so many updates, but I figured it might have to do with the fact that I had restored my hard drive to factory default (note that this hard drive is a few years old). So I figured I'd just go to bed and see how it goes in the morning.

Well, I started it up this morning and am getting another blue screen before Windows even loads -- and it's a different error code than before:
    Code:
    0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80535FF1, OxBACC3208)
    So I am unsure what to do now. Perhaps run chkdsk again? Maybe chkdsk /f this time?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Nick_R; 2009-12-04 at 18:20.

So I've done some research and found out some things. One important piece of information to know is that my Windows installation was SP 3 long before I had any of these issues. When I did the restore and wiped the whole drive, restoring it back to factory defaults, I'm not sure if it reverted back to SP 2 or not. Since the latest error has been occurring ever since the Windows Update, I have a feeling that one of the 100+ updates that were installed is the problem.

So I believe the issue may pertain to SP 3 or something. I found instructions on the Windows Support site that explain how to uninstall SP 3 via the System Recovery command prompt (which I can access), so I'm wondering if that's what I should do. What are your thoughts? Would that be harmful?
    Last edited by Nick_R; 2009-12-05 at 02:33.