Thread: Permanent blocking unchecking itself

Question Permanent blocking unchecking itself

Hi,
    The Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internent Explorer keeps unchecking itself. I noticed this happening a couple times before. The last time was about a month ago or so. So I rechecked the Resident SDHelper, which was also unchecked, and the Enable permanent blocking..... again. In doing a search, I do have the SDHelper.dll in ...Programs/Spybot Search & Destroy/. How does it keep getting unchecked? I've scanned with AV, Ad-Aware, HJT....... and its clean. (I don't use TeaTimer.)

Also, I have the Ask for blocking confirmation checked just to see if it is working right, and nothing ever happens. I've also tried Display dialog when blocking, and still nothing happens. It used to, but hasn't done either of these for quite awhile now that I think about it.

Thanks for any suggestions?
    (WinXP, Spybot 1.4)

Default Anybody

Hi,

Is this not happening to anyone else? Can someone tell me what is causing this? Thanks for you help

Did you notice whether the sdhelper becomes unchecked after an update,or not?
    Once in a while(though it hasn't happened for awhile),after an update,I have to go recheck the 'Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer'.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-07-16 at 21:09.

Default No, haven't noticed

No I haven't noticed if it correlates with an update. Being that my original message was 6/25, a Sun., that could be possible. It was when I Immunized that I saw "Enable permanent blocking......" was unchecked. So I checked sdhelper and it was unchecked too. I will check these after updates each time to see if that might be what's happening. I've only noticed this a couple times before. The time before this (6/25) was a month or so before that I noticed it was unchecked.

Thanks for your suggestion Zenobia. I appreciate your reply.

You're welcome.

Also, I have the Ask for blocking confirmation checked just to see if it is working right, and nothing ever happens. I've also tried Display dialog when blocking, and still nothing happens. It used to, but hasn't done either of these for quite awhile now that I think about it.
    Actually,I noticed that,myself,when I took sdhelper off of block pages silently,just to see,one day.I usually block cookies with IE,so I stopped blocking third-party cookies to see if I'd get a prompt from the BHO(I just call it sdhelper),and I still did not get a prompt from the bad download blocker.However,I went to a site that I know places a third-party cookie,and it did not seem to show up.Not sure why no prompt shows,perhaps it's just a bug,I do not know for sure.
    Or,perhaps,if you block third-party cookies with Internet Explorer,you do not get prompts from Spybot,since your browser is blocking them,so sdhelper has not encountered anything it needs to prompt you for.

However,I went to a site that I know places a third-party cookie,and it did not seem to show up.
    Actually,scratch that,I remembered I forgot about the cookies being blocked in Internet Explorer->privacy->sites...,from Immunization.When I took that out,I got red (tracking) cookies listed in Spybot.

I know sdhelper from version 1.3 used to prompt when it blocked cookies,since that's how I used to check that sdhelper was working.Perhaps 1.4 does not,where there are tracking cookies added to privacy through immunization.(though I do not know that for sure.)

Default Blocking Third-Party Cookies

Hi Zenobia,

Ooooh. That could be it then. I do block third-party cookies in IE. Plus I use cookiewall (http://www.analogx.com) that was recommended by someone at Castlecops when I couldn't get rid of or stop the 207.net cookie. I finally got that one killed.

I also opted-out of those main ad cookies, Avenue A?, double-click, real media, etc., at some site linked to in a privacy policy. So it could be a combination of all of the above. I don't remember if it stopped with Spybot 1.4, its been so long since I've seen it block, maybe it did. But I did have block silently on for quite awhile. As long as they're being blocked cause I'm not finding any.

Spybot very rarely finds anything so I am not complaining. (Knock on wood.) I wouldn't be without it. It only finds the usage tracks, so I unchecked that.

Thanks again for all your thoughts. I appreciate your time and help.

P.S. I'm signed in and this thing won't let me submit this. I hope I don't lose it.

P.S. I'm signed in and this thing won't let me submit this. I hope I don't lose it.
    That happens to me sometimes,and sometimes I get signed out of the forum when I'm posting something,usually I just get a message about an invalid thread,but what I posted is usually there afterwards,when I check,anyways.(Just in case,I copy alot of my posts before I submit them.)
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-07-18 at 04:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia
    Just in case,I copy alot of my posts before I submit them.
    Aaah, great idea!:D