Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bot-check

Default bot-check

I,m new to the forum so please bare with me,

Can anyone tell me what running bot-check is when doing a scan,

I am getting numbers and web pages (on bottom left of screen) .

Does that mean that those web sites have been viewed on this pc, because i don,t recognize them, If the answer is yes, can i stop them been shown when doing a scan.

Sorry if it isn,t as clear as some other posts.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows the following:
    • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
      • xxxxx = Current check count.
      • yyyyy = Total check count.
      • zzzzz = Malware being checked for.

• The zzzzz value is not what is on your system it is the malware that is being scan for.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Exclamation Help! bot check is confusing!!!

the "malware???" listed are things i dont think ive seen or visited b4. is there anyway i can get rid of the bots??? if not, what can i do to make it so it doesnt show that???please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

hockeymon99:

The "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" that appears in lower left hand corner of the screen during a scan is just a display of progress of the scan. If you don't understand it, ignore it.

The only thing that you should be concerned with is the results of the scan that are displayed in the "Problem" list in the right hand pane of the "Search & Destroy" screen when the scan completes.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

hockeymon99:

It is just what Spybot is checking for, so don't worry about it

Greetz, Red

I am perplexed as to why the number of malware signatures or bots that spybot
    scans my system for has reduced from over 1M+ to 780609 surely there are a lot more threats than this now.

My best guess in my knowledge, is the malware definitions are being compressed (presuming it will save space and make the program run more efficiently).

For example, in 2007 there might be Malware A. Spybot incorporates that definition into its definition database. Now in 2011 there are several variants (versions) of Malware A. So instead of searching through:
    -Malware A-v.1.2
    -Malware A-v3.1
    -Malware A v.0202
    etc...

All the definitions for those variants are compressed into one general category: Malware A.

Hope that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    My best guess in my knowledge, is the malware definitions are being compressed (presuming it will save space and make the program run more efficiently).

For example, in 2007 there might be Malware A. Spybot incorporates that definition into its definition database. Now in 2011 there are several variants (versions) of Malware A. So instead of searching through:
    -Malware A-v.1.2
    -Malware A-v3.1
    -Malware A v.0202
    etc...

All the definitions for those variants are compressed into one general category: Malware A.

Hope that helps?
    many thanks drragostea

Question

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows the following:
    • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
      • xxxxx = Current check count.
      • yyyyy = Total check count.
      • zzzzz = Malware being checked for.

• The zzzzz value is not what is on your system it is the malware that is being scan for.
    Ok, so what happens if xxxxx is greater than yyyyy...? Does it mean overscanning or it failed to scan correctly? But still resumes without giving any errors?

I haven't had Spybot 1.6.2 for a few years now, so I can't confirm for sure, but I believe when the current check count(xxxxx) is higher than the Total Check Count(yyyyy) it's usually because Spybot has been set to check the downloads directory, or perhaps it does it automatically now, I can't quite remember. I am uncertain if it says it for sure or if it is just in Spybot 2.5, but you could probably confirm it in your next scan if the zzzzz value says "Checking downloads directory." or similar.