Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: can't change home page stays on update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

Default can't change home page stays on update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

I can't change my homepage back to Google.com which is where it was setting up til 2 weeks ago. It now always opens to update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6, and I have run my McAfee , Adaware, Spybot, Defender and checked settings and cannot see a setting anywhere that is doing it. I need Google back please give me some advice. Some times "Use Current is faded out.
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-06-26 at 20:30. Reason: Corrected font

Try this:

1. Go into Internet Explorer
    2. Select tools then Internet options
    3. Select the advanced tab
    4. Under the browsing heading should be an option to automatically check for Internet Explorer updates.

Check to see if this is checked, if so there is your problem
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

zmartha:

There is an option within Spybot that sets a flag which prevents your home page from being changed. To see if this flag is set, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks. There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page:
    • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
    • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
    • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

If the "Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)" is checked, uncheck it and see if you can change your home page.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Unhappy can't change home page stays on update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

Dear MD USA & Jim B:
    I tried what you suggested and there was no check mark in any of those areas in Spybot or IE. I still cannot get it to change. Also, I cannot manually scan with McAfee because the window where Scan Virus is only allows me to set the otions for the scan and where, but the button that says Scan or proceed is out of sight, and I have set my screen resolution and fonts to be smaller so I can see the whole window, but I still cannot manually scan. Would that have any connection to this whole problem?

Anyway, I need more suggestions please.

Question can't change home page--tried your suggestions--nada

I still need help with not being able to change my homepage to Google; it is stuck on update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6, and I have run my McAfee , Adaware, Spybot, Defender and checked settings and cannot see a setting anywhere that is doing it.

I followed 2 sets of suggestions to no avail. spybot is not holding it that I can see, neither is IE, don't know how to tell if McAfee is doing it. But I don't think it is. PLEASE HELP! zmartha
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-06-28 at 22:43. Reason: Removed duplicate post

Hello zmartha.

Could you give more details as to when the problem started please.

For instance are these your posts here:
    6/22/2005
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?...&mpage=16&key=

6/23/2005
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?...1&key=&#112870
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Wink

I will try to explain better.

Another person asked this same question, but got no solution that I can see at http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/17667.html
    My sister is the one who has the problem--I was visiting her this week and could tell that her PC was acting "funny." She can't change her homepage back to Google.com which is where it was set and opening to just fine til , she says, about 6 months ago. It now always opens to update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6, and I have run her McAfee, Adaware, Spybot, Defender, and maybe Spyblaster and checked settings and cannot see a setting anywhere that is doing it.
    Some times "Use Current" is faded out when I try to change the homepage in IE Options. I have tried to set Dogpile as home page and it still won't change, even tho Spybot shows it as the current home page and the microsoft update as former home page, it continues to open at the ms update page.
    She does not have IE6 checked to automatically update, but she does have MS updates to automatically download and install. I have tried this suggestion:
    "There is an option within Spybot that sets a flag which prevents your home page from being changed. To see if this flag is set, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks. There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page:

* Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
    * Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
    * Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

If the "Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)" is checked, uncheck it and see if you can change your home page."

(My sister had none of these checked.)

If my sister and that guy above have this same problem, then there are others who are having it who weren't/aren't aware of the home page problem, so please help. Spybot's forum could not help us.

Oh, yes, my sister's server is MSN--she changed over to that and DSL in the last few months. I wonder if they make their own home page for their clients? If you need more info, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks, zmartha
    Yes, those were my posts from last year. I sent the DVD player back. Something was wrong with my PC--motherboard connection, I believe.

What firewall does your sister use?

My sister has the McAfee Internet Suite--all updated witht he Firewall, which is enabled.

Okay,I heard some people with another firewall were sometimes having problems changing their homepage,so I thought I'd check which one she had.