Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: can't change home page stays on update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

Default Re:Home page problem.

I had a similar problem that prevented me from changing from MSN to my preferred homepage. After trying the internet connection change, which didn't work, I ran across a forum which suggested that the problem might be in Zone Alarm and the remove it from the computer. I did it and it worked. After established my preferred home page I reinstalled Zone Alarm and all is well. Hope this helps.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

launchdriverjon:

Thanks for the advice but considering the fact that Sue (zmartha's sister) is not running ZoneAlarm, I don't believe that it will help in this situation.

In fact if you backtrack a little in this thread you see that the possibility of a ZoneAlarm problem was already addressed in this thread for another user (Almonteguy) in post post #30.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Almonteguy:

Are you running ZoneAlarm? If so, read:

In particular the post by Rosenfeld:

If you do not run ZoneAlarm, what other security/anti-malware software do you run?
    If you are interested in more information on the problem with changing your home page while running the recently released versions of ZoneAlarm, please read the above references in the quote above.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-07-17 at 22:38.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

My sister Sue says, "It Worked!!!"
    I say YES!!!!
    You people were wonderful to not give up on us. I have learned some things thru this problem solving thread too.

We both thank you very very much. God bless.

zmartha

Wink Changing default browser home page

Thanks to all for helping me solve this problem.
    Last edited by Doctor Z; 2006-09-23 at 16:28. Reason: Accidental dublicate entry

Wink Changing default browser home page

Thanks to all for helping me solve this problem.

I run Spy Sweeper and Spybot concurrently. Not Spybot but Spy Sweeper was blocking me from changing my default home page. However, you may easily edit you default browser home page inside Spy Sweeper.

1. Start Spy Sweeper
    2. Select Shields
    3. Select Internet Explorer
    4. Select Edit IE Hijack Shield Settings
    5. Edit IE Home Page Shield to the default address you would like
    6. Select OK
    7. Close Spy Sweeper

No need to reboot, change is instant.

Default Possible solution

Hi,

My browsers been stuck on the same home page for a while and I finally managed to change it by opening up internet options from the tools menu, and also opening internet options from the control panel at the same time. If you then change the home page on both of the windows, and apply, then close both windows, the change seems to stick.

God knows why though.....

Hope this helps,
    Chris