Thread: spybotsd.exe missing?

Default spybotsd.exe missing?

hi all. got home, and somebody else was here on my pc for hours browsing the web....

well, i noticed in windows task manager that there was an unfamiliar process running, and damn it, i forgot to take a look or screenshot it before closing it, but off the top of my head it was... "rich_txt 64" ? or something like that.. and following that, i tried to fire up Spybot, and was greeted by no splash screen, so i became curious.... immediately went to my installation folder, and found there was no exe...

tried to uninstalled spybot, successful, deleted the program files folder, re-dled, installed, boom, same thing, no exe, wouldn't open the program.

tried to dl superantispyware from their official website, and upon starting installation i run into an error... "...has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inc-- so on"

am really at a loss for words here, i do not want to reboot, for fear of any infection / problem digging in deeper. thank you, thank you, thank you, in advance, for all time and effort put forth trying to save me!!

sorry for my lack of patience, have read through the sticky post, hjt log to be attached

another edit, was able to reinstall spyboy, and this time, went to the installation dir, before the spybotsd.exe was deleted, and although, it still would not open, i ended up opening the randomly named .SCR "copy" of the exe, and got into spybot, updated defs, ran a scan, and was greeted by 3 diff results... fraid active security and win32.tdss.reg and win32.tdss.rtk, upon using spybot to fix these problems i was greeted with a "operation successful" box, saying i'd gotten rid of 13 or so entries? upon rebooting and scanning once more, unfortunately both TDSS files are still there....

any help is greatly appreciated thank you

figured i'd update again. i just realized i can't defrag my hdd.... it keeps saying i have ONE file... on the whole hdd haha!

Hello still awake,
    Quote Originally Posted by still awake View Post
    sorry for my lack of patience, have read through the sticky post, hjt log to be attached
    All logs should be copy/pasted into topic and not attached ..... unless requested by helper in that format.
    Posting additional comments or logs before a volunteer responds, can push you back instead of forward, because your thread ends up with a newer date. In addition helpers would think you are already being assisted because of the post count. For that reason we may merge such posts but please do not count on it.
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Please start a new topic, thanks.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016