Thread: Windows Boot Options

Default Windows Boot Options

A while ago, I had some problems with malware, and was able to sort everything out thanks to the very helpful people here at the Safer Networking Forums. I've been away on business intermittently since then, so I didn't really have much time to use the home computer, as opposed to my laptop.

Anyway now that I'm back, I have an issue regarding Windows booting up, that I didn't realize I would still have to address, as opposed to it fixing itself. In the past, Windows would just boot up when I started the machine, and that'd be that. Since using Combo Fix, and it utilizing the Recovery Console option, if I am recalling it properly, a black menu prompting me to select where I wanted to boot Windows from has begun to flash across the screen for just about a second or so, before automatically selecting whatever option it's picking, and booting.

I've since erased Combofix from my desktop and all, but it's still doing that. Assuming that it shouldn't be, how do I get it to stop?

Security Expert: Emeritus

Hi Dagnirion

Removing ComboFix doesn't remove recovery console.

I highly recommend to keep it for possible further issues with malware/booting etc.

However, if you like to remove it, I can give you instructions.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006

I wasn't aware of that. That the computer is starting from that point, instead of "normally" isn't a bad thing, per se? That doesn't mean, then, that the whole fixing things process wasn't interrupted at some point, or wasn't fully implemented.

Security Expert: Emeritus

No it is not a bad thing but completely expected.

There is a small delay before it will choose operating system.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006