Thread: Scanning drives other than c: on my computer?

Question Scanning drives other than c: on my computer?

I have a hard drive F: attaced via USB that I need to scan. I tried adding '/addallhives' and '/allhives' to the target by way of 'Spybot 'Properties- " "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /advancedmode /allhives (or '/addallhives' ) to no avail.

When the Spybot program first runs the recognized installations are only on the c: drive.

Suggestions?

Default How to Scan an External Drive

Hi joeu02,

Here's what you can do:

Make sure that the external drive that you want to scan is already connected to your computer and shows up in your drive listings. Now load Spybot, then switch the program to Advanced Mode by clicking on Mode at the top, and then selecting Advanced Mode.

Down the left side of the Spybot box, you will now see four choices to click on: Spybot-S&D, Settings, Tools, and Info & License. Click once on Settings.

At this point you will see two similar lists of options down the left and in the main program panel, both starting with Language. The fourth choice will be Directories. Click once on that, in the main panel.

In the main program panel, you should now see a folder that reads, "Download Directory." Now RIGHT-click on that, and you will get the option to, "Add a directory to this list."

A box will pop up showing you your computer's structure. Click on Computer (on mine that shows up at the bottom of the list), then find the letter for your external drive F:, and click on it. That should add the F: drive to the list under "Dowload Directory."

Now click on the first selection down the left edge, "Spybot-S&D," and you will get the familiar scanning options. Start a scan. Spybot will now perform a complete scan of your computer -- including the F: drive.

As I said, this worked for me the last time I had to scan an external drive, a couple of weeks ago. I received an explanation on this forum that enabled me to figure out what I needed to do, but hopefully this one will fill in some of the details in case you're not very familiar with Spybot. It's not the most intuitive or the most clearly explained software in the world, but it works well when you know what to do.

Good luck!

--JorgeA

Default Thanks...

...I am giving it a try. I like to select only the F: (or certain other) drive if possible. Is it?

Hi,

If there is a way to tell Spybot to scan just the F: drive (or any other secondary drive), I have not found it, unfortunately.

However, unless you have an older, slower computer, scanning two or more drives shouldn't add an inordinate amount of time to the whole process.

My understanding is that previous versions of Spybot used to have a feature where you could right-click on a file, folder, or drive and select a Spybot scan for that item alone, but that it was removed due to complaints was scanning this way was very slow (I think the feature was designed with the idea of scanning single files rather than entire drives).

Keep us posted on how things go.

--JorgeA