Thread: False positive, maybe

Default False positive, maybe

Hi, I'm new to this forum, have been using Spybot Search and Destroy for many years.

I recently updated the definitions (23 December 2009) and I did a full scan, and it found this:

Fraud.MalwareDefense: [SBI $468EC810] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5E2121EE-0300-11D4-8D3B-444553540000}

I have done a full virus scan (using Avira), nothing found.

I did a search on that detection, and some results show up as a component of the ati video card driver (I do have an ati card and it's running the "ccc" driver/software).

I placed this detection on the ignore list.

Is this just a false positive?

Thank you,
    Franko

Default The same: Fraud.MalwareDefense

Hi Team,

I have the same issue. The same file (points to C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\atiacmxx.dll) is detected by the most recent S&D update as Fraud.MalwareDefense.

WinXP SP3, IE8, most recent versions of S&D and updates.

Regards, Leszek

Hi,

This also happened to me today and I agree it must be a false positive as I did a clean install of my system last night so it is very doubtful I have picked this up as I have hardly been on the web. I have an ATI graphics card as well.

Incase you need it:

N.B. KIS, SAS and MBAM do not find anything also nothing in HijackThis log

Please rectify soon.

Cheers
    Last edited by codpieceface; 2009-12-23 at 16:39.

Thanks for reporting this. We are currently investigating this issue. More information on this would be very supportive. Please export the key in question and send it to detections@spybot.info Thanks in advance!
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Hello,

We are sorry, this is a false positive in our actual detections.
    We are trying to bring up another update as soon as possible that should fix this.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Buster and spybotsandra,

Thanks for the quick replies. I have sent the key as per Buster's request.

Just to give you my 2 cents worth... this is the first time i have used spybot in about 2 years. I am in the process of setting up a dual boot with vista/W7 and I thought I would try some different anti spyware programs on each OS. So finding an FP on my first spybot scan in 2 years is most annoying and I nearly uninstalled it altogether.

However as you have replied so quickly and appear to be on the case I will stick with it.

Thanks again,

Cheers.

An update including the fixed detection file has been released a few minutes ago. Please download the new definition files.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default Fraud.malwaredefense false positive?

I've been using Spybot S/D for many months with excellent results. I have the latest version with updates as of 12/23/09. I ran a scan this afternoon and got a Fraud.malewaredefense notice. Spybot was unable to remove it saying it was in memory. I subsequently ran the following spyware/malware programs scans to try and find it. I ran Malewarebytes, McAfee, Norton, Trend, and Spyware doctor. None of them found this problem. I looked in program files and folders and I even looked in the registry-nothing. I ran your RunAlyzer and, again, nothing. I was unable to find any files/ Reg entries that said Malware defense. I've not noticed any PC problems that you would associate with this malware. I really believe I'm getting a false positive. I'm running Vista with both FF 3.5 and IE 7, but, I rarely use IE7. McAfee runs automatically. Your error report says the following: SBI $468EC810 and HKEY_Classes_Root\ClSID\5E212EE. Please tell me if I'm getting a false positive before I have to spend a lot of money with Dell tech support on a bug hunt that maybe unnecessary. Thanks

Hello,

Please search for updates and download all available ones.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot