Thread: Incompatibility with other security software?

Default Incompatibility with other security software?

Hello to all. Although new to this forum I have been running Spybot S&D on my system for some time now. Hoping that someone may be able to help me with this. Recently installed BitDefender Total Security 2010 and have found that it keeps disabling its protection. After contacting their support people, they suggested that I should uninstall S&D from my system as the two are conflicting with each other. Would this be the case - or just a bias from them to exclusively run their software? Might there be a compromise in the S&D settings that may allow both to function in harmony? As I am rather fond of S&D I am reluctant to just blindly uninstall it on their say so. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello,

You do not need to uninstall Spybot.
    There should not be any problems with the compatibility.
    If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

That's the way to to disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by jlmacd View Post
    Hello to all. Although new to this forum I have been running Spybot S&D on my system for some time now. Hoping that someone may be able to help me with this. Recently installed BitDefender Total Security 2010 and have found that it keeps disabling its protection. After contacting their support people, they suggested that I should uninstall S&D from my system as the two are conflicting with each other. Would this be the case - or just a bias from them to exclusively run their software? Might there be a compromise in the S&D settings that may allow both to function in harmony? As I am rather fond of S&D I am reluctant to just blindly uninstall it on their say so. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Hello jlmacd- BitDefender already has antispyware so you don't have to keep both programs- I know that if you have more than one security on your Pc one of them could not work - like in your case.

Hi jlmacd,
    BitDefender already has antispyware so you don't have to keep both programs- I know that if you have more than one security on your Pc one of them could not work - like in your case.
    To clarify jonnas_tan's point, conflicts may occur if you run more than one active protection real time scanners at a time. Having multiple anti-spyware applications running as on-demand scanners will not create conflicts.

Your conflict is most likely between Spybot's real time scanner 'Teatimer' and Bitdefender's active protection feature. You can easily stop any conflicts by disabling either Bitdefender's or Spybot's active protection.

Sandra has already given instructions for you to follow should you want to disable Spybot's active protection.

Happy New Year