Thread: Spybot shuts down when I remove usage tracks

Question Spybot shuts down when I remove usage tracks

This has only begun recently. I've configured the program to delete usage tracks. Normally at the end of a scan it will show me all items with a check-box beside them. Though it still does, after I check each box and click on "fix problems," instead of going through them all and putting a green check mark beside them it simply kicks me out of the program. When I check the recovery section after re-booting the program only a few items have been "backed-up," but not all.
    I also run Avast! and read the recent post about it viewing S & D as a trojan. I have followed the instructions on updating Avast's definition files and the program itself.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Peace...........

Hello,

Have you tried if it works if you have disabled Avast during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy?

Also run a scan in safe mode:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    That should fix it.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I run Avast 4.8.68 and have no problems with SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.6.2.46 without problems. I am using WinXP Pro SP3 fully updated.

When Avast had it's false positive issues on 12/03/2009, I didn't allow it to delete or copy to chest any of the files. I shut down for the night figuring it was a false positive. If you also didn't allow Avast to remove files or if you uninstalled and reinstalled SpyBot Search & Destroy, then the two should not cause a problem for each other.

Avast and SpyBot Search & Destroy both had had false positives, as has all other such programs. How the user deals with them can help negate the problem sometimes, unless the program is set to automatically delete/move the suspected file.

Default Spybot in safe mode

Thanks, doing a scan in safe mode allowed me to delete usage tracks and create a back-up. I am still puzzled as to why I have to do this now since like the other individual who replied I've been running both Spybot and Avast for a long time and have never encountered any problems before this with the functionality of wither program.
    Any ideas why now? Thanks!
    Peace..........
    p.s. what does "PM" stand for and where should I post if I need technical help?
    Last edited by bigbobbysd; 2010-01-11 at 18:09.

bigbobbysd,

I doubt your problem has anything to do with Avast.

For a long time now there has been a situation when deleting usage tracks after a scan where SpybotSD will terminate suddenly. It occurs specifically if you have Microsoft Office 2000 installed (maybe with other office versions as well). I know it occurs with XP home and XP Pro but can't comment on other systems

If you are running MS Office, you can try this. At the end of the scan, make sure any entry relating to MS Office is unticked, then proceed with the delete. It should work correctly.

If so determine on a trial and error basis specifically which MS Office entry causes the termination and then exclude this item from further detection.

This has been reported before, it was a long time ago and as far as I know has never been resolved, but the workaround above has been satisfactory in every case I have seen.

Actually, the work-around worked the first time I tried it (scanning in safe mode) but the second time it again kicked me out of the program before deleting usage tracks.....so, still puzzled.
    Thanks for your response,
    Peace.......

I deleted the many back-ups of my registry (.REG) that S & D created. It then allowed the program to function normally deleting usage tracks once again in full operational mode as opposed to safe mode. Perhaps this will help others who have had the same problem that I did.
    Thanks to all responders,
    Peace!