Thread: TeaTimer disables Registry Cleaner

Question TeaTimer disables Registry Cleaner

I'm a first time poster to this forum. Don't know the etiquette, your history, etc. I don't know what the prevailing human opinion is of Registry Cleaners but Spybot (TeaTimer I gather from reading the TT FAQ) doesn't like it and disabled it twice. Is there a way to configure Spybot/TT to ignore the Registry Cleaner executable? From what I read TT runs continuously in the background and unfortunately the Registry Cleaner was configured at installation to run at system startup. So once the RC starts, TT zaps it. Is uninstalling Spybot the only way to disable TT? Also while you're all here, do I really NEED a registry cleaner?

Lightbulb Hello,

1.) Is there a way to configure Spybot/TT to ignore the Registry Cleaner executable?

Yes, Right click teatimer's icon in the system tray. Then go to the settings option. there should be a list of blocked items. Choose the X next to the registry cleaner item, and it should be allowed. It has been awhile since I have used teatimer however, so I could be wrong. You could also try going into advanced mode and then restarting the computer. then choose allow and remember on the teatimer prompt. You can then go back to normal mode.

2.) Is uninstalling Spybot the only way to disable TT?

No, you can disable teatimer if necessary under settings in the spybot program. You first need to click mode-advanced mode. then click settings. Choose resident. Then uncheck teatimer (protection of all systems active)

3.) Also while you're all here, do I really NEED a registry cleaner?

registry cleaners are NOT recommended. See here.

Either TeaTimer is blocking a malicious process or you are wrong.

What is this registry cleaner installed on your machine called?
    Trust me, I can guarantee you that TeaTimer will not start disabling random programs with it's magical fairy dust. Unless the user explicitly tells TeaTimer to, it will. Besides that, TeaTimer will automatically disable malicious programs.
    What build of TeaTimer are you running?

Hello,

The reasons why Spybot - Search & Destroy detects this software are several ones:
    There are anti-spyware tools like RegistryCleaner which have a very dubious or bad character.

They state to be an anti-spyware tool but employ questionable advertising methods: In the form of a PopUp they offer a scan of your system. They refer you to an infection of viruses and spyware on your system which is actually not true, because the listed items are not really on your pc. After downloading the software you can only scan for the threats. If the threats (pseudo-infections) are detected you have to register first and pay (up to $30) in order to remove them. Some of these dubious anti-spyware tools do also create a toolbar in IE and create recurring PopUps.

More dubious anti-spyware tools you will find here:

http://malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=30

http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot