Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immunization not working...

Question Immunization not working...

This needs to be in the Spybot normal user forum, but I am unable to post there. This is for my home computer, not a work machine.

Spybot will immunize all but 945 entries on my XP Pro x64 laptop. The entries are ALL IE entries. FF and hosts immunize perfectly. I only run Symantec Endpoint Protection on my machine (64bit version), but disabling it does no good. It refuses to immunize multiple IE entries, one containing 547 unimunized entries. The funny thing is, I just tried immunizing again, and the first two that wouldn't immunize actually did immunize, but then the very next one became unimmunized and put my unimmunized count right back to 945. It's as though Spybot wants me to have exactly 945 unimmunized IE entries, but it doesn't care which ones.
    QuadCore 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB), 8GB DDR3/1333MHz (Dual-Channel), Dual nVidia GTX295 2GB VRAM, SB X-Fi Gamer PCI-E
    P4/3.20GHz HT (800MHz FSB), 2GB DDR/400MHz (Dual-Channel), nVidia7800GS 256MB, Audigy II w/4.1 Speakers

Same problem here, been wrestling with it for weeks. I have NONE of the software listed in the "usual reasons" sticky thread.

Windows XP Pro x64
    IE8
    Avast Home
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot S&D

I have tried uninstalling both Avast And SpywareBlaster - no joy. I have even restored to a drive image from before the issue started. No success there either.

From memory, the 945 items are in administrator settings and domains. The debug list .txt file is too large to upload and I don't have a zipper installed (because this is a stripped down install).

Now at 969 items failing to immunize after latest Windows Update x64 IE8 security patch followed by Spybot S&D update. No such issues with XP Pro 32 bit.

Could you post the exact update that you installed before spybot stopped working?

Sorry, I can't.

I could try rolling back to a drive image recorded before this issue arose and then apply the Windows Updates one-at-a-time, recording another image after each update then applying the SS&D updates until I find which one it is, but to be honest I don't have time for that.

*edit* Spybot hasn't "stopped working" please read this thread again.
    Last edited by a4nic8er; 2010-01-24 at 22:43.

Stupid question here for you folks having problems....what type of browser are you using?

Ahother thought....when was the last time you deleted all your Temporary Internet Files....and Cookies...and Add-Ons?

I DO know that IE8 still has problems (from friends of mine)...but you CAN roll back to IE7. I'm still on IE7 as I've heard / read about too many issues.

That said....to Delete items in Temp etc...open your IE and then click on Tools, then Internet Options....then under Browsing History click on Delete....then another window will open up for Delete All (check the box).

Once this is done then try your Immunization again.

Of ALL the friends I have....only ONE person has had immunization problems...and that was because the machine was already infected with malware
    Last edited by rivermandave; 2010-01-25 at 01:43. Reason: Of ALL the friends I have....only ONE person has had immunization problems...and that was because the machine was already inf

Quote Originally Posted by a4nic8er View Post
    Same problem here, been wrestling with it for weeks. I have NONE of the software listed in the "usual reasons" sticky thread.

Windows XP Pro x64
    IE8
    Avast Home
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot S&D
    Hi
    I have the same config as you, tried everything. But then I go under tools>internet options>advance> reset Internet Explorer settings.(IE8)
    Then I run Immunization again, all gone

Hope this help

Arne

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmaister View Post
    Hi
    I have the same config as you, tried everything. But then I go under tools>internet options>advance> reset Internet Explorer settings.(IE8)
    Then I run Immunization again, all gone

Hope this help

Arne
    OK, tried that. Unfortunately all it did was change the sections where the 969 non-immunized items are. See attachment and compare it to the one in my previous post.

@ Hoffmaister: are you running XP Pro 64 bit?

Here's what I have done to try and trace the cause of this problem...

Isolated from internet.
    Restored to image from 30 November 2009

NO Microsoft Updates installed!

Disabled SpywareBlaster protection.
    Uninstalled Avast! 4.8.
    Rebooted.

Immunized.

So far, so good (remember, still no Microsoft updates).
    Connected to internet, updated SS&D.

Started SS&D.

Immunized, 1737 items failed. See attachment immudebug1737-1.zip for 990KB immunization debug text file.

Updated and enabled SpywareBlaster protection. No change.
    Rebooted. No Change.
    Immunized. No change.
    Removed Immunization, reset Internet options to default (deleting all personal settings).
    Rebooted.
    Immunized. Note, all 1737 failures are now in one section - Internet Explorer (64 bit) \Software (Secure Domains). See attachment immudebug1737-2.zip for 293KB immunization debug text file.

Installed 9 Microsoft High Priority updates (may as well, I have proven that they are not causing the problem).

Rebooted.
    Installed Avast!5.
    Rebooted.
    Ran SS&D Immunization again. No change.

Conclusion: The problem arose when only SS&D updates alone were installed. The issue is with SS&D itself, when running on XP 64-bit systems.
    *edit* I suspect the issue is with the 658KB "Base trojan horse detections 2009-12-09"
    Last edited by a4nic8er; 2010-01-28 at 02:41.

Updated SS&D (yes both updates - screenshot taken midway through update).

Immunized, 1869 items failed (up from 1737, an increase of 132 items). Half of the new detections succeeded. Each of the sections showing 11 items unprotected had 22 prior to imminization attempt.

Immunized again. Slight change to placing of immunization failures, from IE 32 bit to IE 32/64 bit, but still the same number.

Removed Immunization, reset Internet options to default (without deleting all personal settings).
    Immunized. Note, all 1869 failures are once again all moved to one section - Internet Explorer (64 bit) \Software (Secure Domains).

New day, same stuff :\