Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immunization not working...

No such issues with XP Pro 32 bit or Windows 7 RC 64 bit on same machine, only XP Pro 64 bit.

Last edited by a4nic8er; 2010-02-04 at 01:19.

Hello,

Did you also undo the immunization and then immunize again?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Did you also undo the immunization and then immunize again?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Yes. I did that and quite a few other things. My actions and the interesting results from them can be easily followed by reading page one of this thread.

*edit* There's even a couple of immunization debug files there too, if anyone at Spybot is interested in looking at them.
    Last edited by a4nic8er; 2010-02-04 at 23:06.

Sorry for the lack of responses. The forums had an issue with my posting permissions and I had to get an admin to fix me up. My results are the same however. Spybot immunizes Windows 7 32/64, Windows Vista 32/64, and XP 32, but not XP x64 Edition. It fully immunizes Firefox, but IE acts strange with immunizations. For example, every other item had X number of unimmunized entries. Well once in a blue moon it will immunize those, but then one farther down the list will GAIN unimmunized entries so that the exact same count of unimmunized entries is the same. I do NOT use IE at ALL, but like to keep it immunized anyway. I am required to use it for Windows Update obviously, and I worry about hijackers and things.

*EDIT*

One thing to note is that I do not install Vista/7 software on my XP machines due to the increased resource usage. As such, I have IE6, not IE7 or IE8 on the machine. I also have Media Player 10, and I use Star Office, not MS Office. Anyway, I have IE6 where one of these guys posted that he had IE8, so I believe that this is an issue not related to the version of IE.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 2010-02-07 at 16:50.
    QuadCore 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB), 8GB DDR3/1333MHz (Dual-Channel), Dual nVidia GTX295 2GB VRAM, SB X-Fi Gamer PCI-E
    P4/3.20GHz HT (800MHz FSB), 2GB DDR/400MHz (Dual-Channel), nVidia7800GS 256MB, Audigy II w/4.1 Speakers

I have IE8 running on WinXP Pro SP3, and am not seeing any increased resource usage over when I had IE6 or IE7. It runs fine and is far safer that the previous IE offerings. I use Firefox 3.6 as my default browser.

Hello,

Please also try to click a second time on the immunization tab after immunizing.
    Does this change anything?

If this does not help please try the following:
    1. Start your PC in safe mode.
    2. Launch Spybot.
    3. Unselect all the options in the immunization tab except the ones which are not immunized.
    4. Undo Immunization.
    5. Redo Immunization.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Please also try to click a second time on the immunization tab after immunizing.
    Does this change anything?

If this does not help please try the following:
    1. Start your PC in safe mode.
    2. Launch Spybot.
    3. Unselect all the options in the immunization tab except the ones which are not immunized.
    4. Undo Immunization.
    5. Redo Immunization.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Ok. Tried that, several times. Appeared to work until reboot into normal mode but I suspect it was just moving the unprotected items around again. Upon normal restart and Immunization check, I end up with 5919 unprotected items in IE 32 bit (Domains). Uncheck everything but that section, undo, immunize. Looks ok. Select all, check again. Now have 1857 unprotected in IE 32 bit (secure domains) plus 1857 unprotected in IE 64 bit (secure domains). Deselect all but those two, undo, immunize, have to 1857 in IE 64 bit (secure domains). Stuff this, select all, check again, 1857 unprotected in IE 64 bit (secure domains), right back where we started from.

SpybotS&D won't immunize IE 64 bit (secure domains) properly, but appears to be immunizing 32 bit IE ok. While wondering if this is going to be rectified, I will make sure not to use 64 bit IE 8.

Question

tried your suggestions to no avail. I had already tried immunizing multiple times and that never worked. It seems to have a set number of immunizations it simply refuses to do and shuffles around what cannot be immunized. This is now also affecting a friend's computer, which is XP Pro 32bit. He has IE6 also since XP becomes unusable for his system (512MB RAM) if he installs 7 or 8.
    QuadCore 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB), 8GB DDR3/1333MHz (Dual-Channel), Dual nVidia GTX295 2GB VRAM, SB X-Fi Gamer PCI-E
    P4/3.20GHz HT (800MHz FSB), 2GB DDR/400MHz (Dual-Channel), nVidia7800GS 256MB, Audigy II w/4.1 Speakers

Cool

Alright after the latest Spybot updates it immunized some, but not all entries. However, I decided to try my weekly chore of selecting only the ones that won't immunize and undo the immunization, then redo it. This worked on a few, so I deselected those, and after multiple times of chasing the immunization bug around (immunize one, another loses immunization) I finally got everything immunized. This is ALL IE-related. The hosts file and FF immunize perfectly each time. We'll see what happens when the team releases another update though...

Latest update: No better, worse if anything.

2193 Immunization failures, spread all over.

Took 10 -15 minutes of rebooting into safe mode, immunize, check again, select each section, undo, redo, check again, reboot in normal mode, check again, select each section, undo, immunize, check again, select all, check again, undo, immunize, check again - just to get the 2193 failures into the same section - IE (64 bit) \SOFTWARE (Secure Domains).

Still no such issue with XP 32 bit or W7 RC 64 bit, only XP 64 bit!

Also noted that it takes 50 seconds to exit SS&D on XP 64 bit while it "unloads user registry hives." This takes less than 1 second with XP 32 bit and W7 RC 64 bit.

And in case you are wondering, I have completed full virus scans (Avast), Live Onecare scan, rootkit scan (Sophos), HJT (all with a clean bill of health).
    Last edited by a4nic8er; 2010-02-17 at 23:10.