Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Explorer & Google redirects

Default Thanks for your help, are we done

Thanks, a link to a Windows forum would be good.

Are we finished? Do I need to create a new restore point?

Emeritus-Security Expert

Hi,

Looks like your fine

You can post here, like Safer the help is free but you will need to register. Just start a new topic explaining your problem, feel free to link them to this thread so they can see what we have done, all us forums work together.
    http://forums.whatthetech.com/Micros...dows_f119.html

Lets update your Java to make your system more secure

Go to your Control Panel and click on the Java Icon ( looks like a little coffee cup ) click on About and you should have Version 6 Update 18, if not proceed with the instructions.

Download the latest version Here save it, do not install it yet.

Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 18 <--The wording is confusing but this is what you need

• Go to your Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall any previous versions of Java
    • Reboot your computer
    • Install the latest version

You can verify the installation Here

Now to remove most of the tools that we have used in fixing your machine:
    • Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
    • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
    • A list of tool components used in the cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
    • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OTC to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
    • Click Yes to begin the cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
    • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

System Restore makes regular backups of all your settings, if you ever had to use this program to restore your system to a previous date, you will be infected all over again so we need to clean out the previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore.

• Right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.

Reboot your computer

Turn ON System Restore.

• Right-click My Computer.
    • ClickProperties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • UN-Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.

Create a new Restore Point <-- Very Important

• Go to Start> All Programs> Assesories> System Tools> System Restore and create a New Restore Point

System Restore Tutorial <-- If you need it

Keep in mind if you install some of these programs. Only ONE Anti Virus and only ONE Firewall is recommended, more is overkill and can cause you problems. You can install all the Spyware programs I have listed without any problems. If you install Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard, they will conflict with the TeaTimer in Spybot , you can still install Spybot Search and Destroy but do not enable the TeaTimer .

Here are some free programs to install, all free and highly regarded by the fine people in the Malware Removal Community
    • Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6
      Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis. If you install Spyware Blaster ( Recommended ) then do not enable the TeaTimer in Spybot Search and Destroy.
    • Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed. No scan to run, just update about once a week and enable all protection.
    • Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts, again, no scan to run, just install it and let it do its thing.
    • IE-Spyad
      IE-Spyad places over 6000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
    • Firefox 3 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.

Safe Surfn
    Ken
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Default I think we can close this thread

Things are ok now. I installed the suggested protection programs and Firefox. I will move on to the windows forum for assistance in cleaning up my computer after too many years of installing and removing windows programs.

Thank you for your help.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Your very welcome.

after too many years of installing and removing windows programs.

You cant believe all the junk left behind on most uninstalls, after a period of time it can slow down your system and sometimes cause issues.

Good luck in the other fourm

Ken

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Emeritus-Security Expert

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue