Thread: failed to get data for 'DisplayName'

Question failed to get data for 'DisplayName'

Hello,

I truly love this neat little software.
    It usually "just works" but sometimes there are a few probs.

Like the one I have right now.
    This is a windows 7 x64 machine upgraded from Vista x64 and the problem persists. I have provided screen dumps of my problem.

What I would really like to know is how to solve it, and also does the error messages mean that Spybot Search & Destroy don't check for those things in the log?

Main reason for this post is to get information and to kind of make a mark of the problem for others to find if they get the same problem.
    I have not yet tried to totally uninstall and wipe the machine from Spybot Search & Destroy meaning I wouldn't know if that would solve anything.
    I have downloaded and installed the stand alone update from your website and I have today replaced the update exe with the beta one from your site.

I have had this problem for ages now..

Any kind of advice would be great.

Do you have a router/firewall that could be blocking internet access for spybot?

Quote Originally Posted by djpailo View Post
    Do you have a router/firewall that could be blocking internet access for spybot?
    Hi and thank you for replying..
    Well there is a corporate firewall but that does not block access to internet from my computer. And by the way, the detection lists are locally hosted, right?
    If it need specific ports open to be able to scan, what ports do it need?
    To verify that I am able to connect where ever I need to connect, could you give me an address and a port number, what way I should be able to telnet that port on that address and verify that it can connect there.

Are there no person on this forum that can explain to me why I get these "Failed to get data for 'DisplayName'" errors?

I have tried to uninstall entire spybot search & destroy and delete all trace of it in program files, then a clean install and still same problem.

Does this mean that there are allot of spyware that my installation doesn't detect or does it only mean it can't display information about it

Please, someone that know how this works, explain to me..

Hey,

looks like Spybot is having difficulties to get the Uninstall key names correctly. Do you run Spybot with administrative rights? Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu,
    instead of just left-clicking to start it.
    Then, choose Run as administrator from the context menu. Do you run any other security software which might be interfering with Spybot?
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

It seem to ask for "elevated" access by it self when I start it by left clicking.

Just tried to run it by the right click method and same result.

I am running spywareblaster, Advanced system care and Panda Security for desktops v4.05.10 (corporate) on the same machine.

But do I understand you right when you say it can't get the Uninstall key names correctly you mean it still has checked for that spybot and it's only the uninstallation key it can't access for it?

So my computer should be safe then?

If anyone else is having the same problem i tried the following on my win 7 x64 home premium and it worked. Right click on spybot shortcut then go to compatibility tab. on my computer for some reason the " run this program in compatibility mode for : " box was checked and windows 7 was marked. I unchecked it then press apply and ok. Finally I started sb by right clicking on the shortcut and run as administrator and everything was fixed. no more failed to get data for display name for me....