Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot No Longer Works on Windows 98 ?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dw2108 View Post
    JorgeA,

FIREWALL FREE & VERY GOOD.

www.oldversion.com > Firewalls > SunBelt > version 2.1.5 is the Kerio Free.

Go to www.grc.com/default.htm and do Shields UP! That will plug any firewall holes you might have.

Keep the 9x. It's too old to allow most malware to run. I know. Also try a vey safe 9x browser such as Opera 8.54, 9.64 -- very safe on a 9x system, safer that the most recent releases using scripting. find them at arc.opera.com
    get good hosts file, and drop it in the Windows folder. With this and some safe browsing, you'll be OK

Dave
    Thanks very much, Dave! It looks like I have some homework to do. I will look into these.

--JorgeA

don't bother getting AVZ from www.z-oleg.com web site. not worth it [sorry dave or dw2108 or whomever].

as for Opera, best to use version 9.64. also consider using Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Seamonkey 1.1.19. These are the last releases of those browsers to work with Win98/ME.

Anvir Taskmanager free...
    forget Anvir Task manager. get Iarsn's TaskInfo program (shareware but far better than any freeware task managers and displays accurate cpu & ram usage).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    ...get Iarsn's TaskInfo program (shareware but far better than any freeware task managers and displays accurate cpu & ram usage).
    noel-pr7,

Thanks very much for the link. TaskInfo looks very interesting. Could help me to monitor what's going on in the PC while Spybot is running a manual scan.

--JorgeA

you're welcome, JorgeA. just remember that TaskInfo is not free but it's affordable and works on all Win9x and WinNT based OSes.

Almost forgot to mention, K-meleon is a lightweight web browser that uses Mozilla's gecko engine and loads fast. Version 1.54 works under Win9x/ME.

You may also want to use Dr. Web Cure It virus removal tool on your Win98 computer.

I've given up using Spybot 1.62 on my old, slow XP computers as it takes too long to load due to the fact that the spybot definition files have gotten much bigger. I may return to using Spybot when Spybot 2.0 gets released. Now using Microsoft Security Essentials and later this July I'll be using the upcoming Lavasoft's Ad-aware Free Internet Security suite, which will have some antivirus features.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2010-07-02 at 18:17.

you're welcome, JorgeA. just remember that TaskInfo is not free but it's affordable and works on all Win9x and WinNT based OSes.

Almost forgot to mention, K-meleon is a lightweight web browser that uses Mozilla's gecko engine and loads fast. Version 1.54 works under Win9x/ME.

You may also want to use Dr. Web Cure It virus removal tool on your Win98 computer.

I've given up using Spybot 1.62 on my old, slow XP computers as it takes too long to load due to the fact that the spybot definition files have gotten much bigger. I may return to using Spybot when Spybot 2.0 gets released. Now using Microsoft Security Essentials and later this July I'll be using the upcoming Lavasoft's Ad-aware Free Internet Security suite, which will have some antivirus features.
    noel-pr7,

Thanks very much for these links. They're all definitely interesting, but Dr. Web looks especially appealing, as it seems to be fairly well rated in lab tests -- and it still works on Windows 98!

So far I've had good experience with Avast! 4.8 (although Win98 support is said to be ending next year) and SuperAntiSpyware. I'm keeping Spybot 1.6.2 for the resident protection, and to scan individual files (and even floppy disks), but full hard-disk manual scans are out of the question. I, too, can't wait for version 2.0 and see if it works again on my Win98.

--JorgeA

Lightbulb

as for Opera, best to use version 9.64. also consider using Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Seamonkey 1.1.19. These are the last releases of those browsers to work with Win98/ME.
    I heard Opera 10 is kinda able to work in versions of Windows older than 2000, but if you want to be sure (or if you want to try Firefox 3 or later, or other NT-only programs), consider installing KernelEx: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
    I, too, can't wait for version 2.0 and see if it works again on my Win98.

--JorgeA
    sorry to disappoint you, JorgeA, but Spybot S&D 2.0 beta, which came out on May 11, 2011, does not install nor run under Win98 and not even under win2000

i'm not sure if the final release of spybot 2.0 will even support Windows versions less than XP.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2011-05-12 at 21:39.

It doesn't? Strange, alpha versions did worked...

Lightbulb To those still running an OS from the Jurassic Period

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedMike View Post
    well as a last option you could always look into investing into a newer computer something like windows xp or higher.
    Agreed, oh great Twisted one.

Or at least (if your almost certainly fossilized Antikythera mechanism can accept it) upgrade to a more recent platform of Windows.

Hello,

Please see this post from Patrick today regarding Spybot-S&D 2.0 and old Windows versions.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot