Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spybot No Longer Works on Windows 98 ?

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    sorry to disappoint you, JorgeA, but Spybot S&D 2.0 beta, which came out on May 11, 2011, does not install nor run under Win98 and not even under win2000

i'm not sure if the final release of spybot 2.0 will even support Windows versions less than XP.
    Well, that's too bad. I'll keep downloading new definitions files each week till the SS&D folks stop providing them for the current version of Spybot.

BTW, I did eventually get Spybot to do a complete scan on the Win98 machine. The system became sluggish to the point of unusability and I finally decided to do a clean install on the additional hard disk drive I'd bought with that possibility in mind. Next time I ran Spybot, it worked wonderfully.

--JorgeA

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
    Well, that's too bad. I'll keep downloading new definitions files each week till the SS&D folks stop providing them for the current version of Spybot.

BTW, I did eventually get Spybot to do a complete scan on the Win98 machine. The system became sluggish to the point of unusability and I finally decided to do a clean install on the additional hard disk drive I'd bought with that possibility in mind. Next time I ran Spybot, it worked wonderfully.

--JorgeA
    JorgeA, don't flip out buddy! We DOS/9x/ME/NT/2000 relics have to stick together. OK, ProAntivirus -- NOT ROGUE -- has a free 1 yr. on demand scanner. AVZ is worth the trouble because it WORKS. The older SpyBot SHALL serve you VERY well. Get WinSonar 2010, System Safety Monitor Free for Win 9x, PeerGuardian with the blocklists For win 9x, WinPatrol 17.0.2010.0, Kerio 2.1.5 Firewall, a very, very good hosts file, and F-PROT for DOS from forum.f-prot.com. Get ClamWin 0.95 and update it with three files incrementally to 0.97. Get ClamSentinenel. Get ScripTrap or ScriptSentry, preferably the latter. Use Opera 10.54 or better with the Dr. Web link checker. You'll be fine online without realtime AVs. I know, I test systems for a very large company that writes "poor" operating systems, although my expertise is mathematics, physics and theoretical and applied computing science. You're MUCH safer with win 9x than people can believe: these OSs are provable subrecurvive and at a very low level -- meaning, WinSonar is overkill as long as you DO NOT allow rundll.exe and rundll32.exe to appear in its safe list. There are tricks to lock com and bat files as well. One day SpyBot shall be forced to drop us, but 9x OS are provably capable of protecting themselves. I'll post more on how to secure DOS/9x/ME if you like and if I'm not locked out of the forum again by someone again.

Yrs,
    Dave HAL
    Princeton

Quote Originally Posted by dw2108 View Post
    JorgeA, don't flip out buddy! We DOS/9x/ME/NT/2000 relics have to stick together. OK, ProAntivirus -- NOT ROGUE -- has a free 1 yr. on demand scanner. AVZ is worth the trouble because it WORKS. The older SpyBot SHALL serve you VERY well. Get WinSonar 2010, System Safety Monitor Free for Win 9x, PeerGuardian with the blocklists For win 9x, WinPatrol 17.0.2010.0, Kerio 2.1.5 Firewall, a very, very good hosts file, and F-PROT for DOS from forum.f-prot.com. Get ClamWin 0.95 and update it with three files incrementally to 0.97. Get ClamSentinenel. Get ScripTrap or ScriptSentry, preferably the latter. Use Opera 10.54 or better with the Dr. Web link checker. You'll be fine online without realtime AVs. I know, I test systems for a very large company that writes "poor" operating systems, although my expertise is mathematics, physics and theoretical and applied computing science. You're MUCH safer with win 9x than people can believe: these OSs are provable subrecurvive and at a very low level -- meaning, WinSonar is overkill as long as you DO NOT allow rundll.exe and rundll32.exe to appear in its safe list. There are tricks to lock com and bat files as well. One day SpyBot shall be forced to drop us, but 9x OS are provably capable of protecting themselves. I'll post more on how to secure DOS/9x/ME if you like and if I'm not locked out of the forum again by someone again.

Yrs,
    Dave HAL
    Princeton
    Hi Dave,

Wow, you really have done your homework! You Win98 security measures are even more comprehensive than mine (see post #3 in http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61843). Several of the programs you mention I hadn't even heard of before.

Regarding the hosts file, I've been relying on the one included with Spybot.

I'm sure interested in learning more about securing DOS/9x/ME.

--JorgeA

Default I donno why ppl r going out tracked from SD

This is SD forum guys. Keep your fight of browser or other non SD figts out.
    Think of SD only else the thread is becoming a mess.
    Sorry for the intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by darenhoff View Post
    This is SD forum guys. Keep your fight of browser or other non SD figts out.
    Think of SD only else the thread is becoming a mess.
    Sorry for the intervention.
    darenhoff,

I'm not sure who's fighting in this thread. We're discussing the eventual end of support for Spybot on older Windows versions and what we can do about it when the time comes.

The thread has been mostly pretty friendly or at least businesslike. Just checked recent posts (from 2011) in the thread, and there's really only one that's "off-key." And that one is already a couple of days old and nobody replied to it.

--JorgeA

Hello dw2108,
    Quote Originally Posted by dw2108 View Post
    and if I'm not locked out of the forum again by someone again.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016