Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another probelm

Default Another probelm

Hi all,

I was unsure if I should have posted this new problem in my previous Thread.

My problem is that I downloaded a program called Advanced System Care 3. The program did not do what I had expected it to do so I tried to uninstall but the uninstaller failed to work.

So what I have done in the past was to uninstall the program manually. I have done this by the going into the registry and deleting the program. I would also do a search of the program and delete all the folders. I removed 99.9% of the program but this is the problem with the right click on a shortcut for example there is an entry called "Boost with Advanced System Care B .

I am asking how do you remove this from this menu?. I have Windows Vista if that helps.

Thanks

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/iobit.com
    Last edited by tashi; 2010-02-14 at 18:23. Reason: Disabled link, added one ;-)

Hi jonny109,
    I was unsure if I should have posted this new problem in my previous Thread.
    You are right to start a new thread for an unrelated topic.
    I tried to uninstall but the uninstaller failed to work.
    Do you know why it failed? Did you receive any error messages or anything of that kind?
    ... there is an entry called "Boost with Advanced System Care B. ... how do you remove this from this menu?
    Since this involves editing the registry it is highly recommended that you make a backup of the registry before doing any tweaking.

1. Open Start menu.
    2. Type in 'regedit.exe' in the search field.
    3. In the Registry Editor, go to 'File' then 'Export'.
    4. Save the .reg file somewhere you will remember and with an useful name e.g. 'Registry_Backup' + Date

Now navigate to this key:
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
    You'll see various keys that are in your context menu presently. Look for the relevant key you want to get rid of - in this case anything to do with Advanced System Care. At this point, you may want to make a back up of the specific key you want to delete by right clicking the key in the left-hand navigation pane and choosing the 'Export' option. Once you are certain that you've found the right key, right click it and delete it.

Now check if the context menu option has disappeared (the changes are usually instant so a reboot shouldn't be needed in most cases).

If I find I cannot uninstall a program correctly I use Revo Uninstaller (freeware) to remove the program completely.
    Last edited by honda12; 2010-02-14 at 13:32.

Yes honda12 I did receive an error message about the uninstaller not working. That is why I when through the steps of removing the program manually. I will do a backup of the registry and i will follow the steps that you give me. I will also download the uninstaller "Revo" for future use. thanks for telling me about it.

Thanks

Hi jonny109,
    Quote Originally Posted by honda12 View Post
    Since this involves editing the registry it is highly recommended that you make a backup of the registry before doing any tweaking.
    Be very careful if you go into the registry and do as honda12 suggested and make a backup.

See Registry Cleaners, not recommended

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Question Not there

Hi all,

I am unable to find the correct key that corresponded with the menu. Can anybody help? (Please see attached photo's for more info)

Thanks
    Last edited by jonny109; 2010-02-14 at 19:13. Reason: spelling mistake

Hi jonny109,
    I am unable to find the correct key that corresponded with the menu. Can anybody help?
    I'm sorry my method didn't work for you. You may have more luck by using this tiny (34kb) portable utility from NirSoft called ShellMenuView which will help you locate the entry and delete it.

Download link here (32bit version).

Best regards,

honda

Default Probelm solved

Thanks Honda12,

That has solved the problem. I have disabled it, do you if there is any way to delete that entry.

thanks once again honda 12 for all your help and tashi. I don’t know what I would do this this forum.

Angry Probelm not fully fixed

Hi all again,

!!please ignore the post above!!

I have just found that when I right click on the recycle bin I still get slightly different message than before "Clean Recycle Bin and Privacy (C)" I have look with the program that honda12 suggested (ShellMenuView) and I am unable to find the relevant key? What now?

Just to let everybody know that the ShellMenuView program did get rid of the option when I just right click over for example a short cut

I wish I never installed this program in the first place!!!!!

thanks
    Last edited by jonny109; 2010-02-15 at 18:49. Reason: Incorrect grammer

Hi jonny109,

Please use the first method posted and try to look for any relevant keys in the registry at these following locations:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645ff040-5081-101b-9f08-00aa002f954e}\shell\]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645ff040-5081-101b-9f08-00aa002f954e}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\]
    To quickly navigate to those keys you can use the 'Find...' option in the 'Edit' menu at the top of the Registry Editor window. Just paste in a key and it'll find it for you.

~

As to how to delete the key from your previous post:
    do you [know] if there is any way to delete that entry.
    Find the entry in ShellMenuView, right click it, select the 'Open in RegEdit' option and delete it in the Registry Editor window that opens.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

honda12
    Last edited by honda12; 2010-02-15 at 20:07. Reason: Added extra ;)

It may be obvious but did you try CCleaner as well?