Thread: Malvertisements Help !!!

Default Malvertisements Help !!!

On January 27, 2010 my pc was infected with
    internet security 2010

and TrojanDownloader:Win32/Fakeinit was in my AVG quarantine folder
    spybot detected 4 files wich I fixed but spybot could not remove the threats from the start up menu if I disabled them more processes would just open AVG was no help I decided to reboot into safe mode (stupid me I didn't try hijackthis first) cause most of system was disabled like the task manager and most programs from the start menu I was than locked out of my user account by a password I tried The Last Known Good Configuration that didn't work.

I did a clean installation of widows xp pro sp3 Ie8 all updates and here's my problem/question

My brother uses http://answers.yahoo.com/ and yesterday a pop up nessage warning will pop up with the message, "Warning! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware programs presence. Your system requires immediate anti-virus check! System Security will perform a quick and free scanning of your PC for viruses and malicious programs." Then, a new window will pop up and show a scanning of the PC.

I think he clicked on the popup and thats how I got infected does anyone know if I lock the Hosts file with spybot will this help prevent messages like this from popping up so that aren't mistakenly clicked on .

Will any of SBSD features help prevent Malvertisements tainted banner ads hijacked ads .

Please see this thread by tashi, download HJT, save a log, and start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forums.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    -
    Locking down the HOSTS file does not impact the pop ups, rather it prevents unauthorized users from modifying it.
    Only removing the malware itself will clear your malware troubles and the popups associated with it.
    Last edited by drragostea; 2010-02-17 at 02:39.

What I ment to say was I'm not currently infected . Just looking for advise or suggestions on how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Right. I did see the part where you said that you reformatted, but you said your brother's machine got infected so that's why I said what I said.

Well, the best way is to harden your machine's defenses. Next apply a firewall (or hardware firewall, which ever you prefer), anti-virus (with real time shields), and an anti-spyware application (anti-virus programs scan for spyware but only anti-spyware programs get the job done because they were designed to remove spyware from a database of millions of fingerprints).

To increase your machine's defenses, I would prefer a HOSTS file. It was written and updated by the contributions of forum members and users:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    -
    Install an Anti-Virus:
    avast! 5.x or Avira Antivir

Install an anti-spyware application:
    Spybot-Search&Destroy, SuperAntiSpyware, or MalwareByte's Anti-Malware.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Install an anti-spyware application:
    Spybot-Search&Destroy, SuperAntiSpyware, or MalwareByte's Anti-Malware.
    There is always the possibility to install two or three of them.

Compared with Antivirus programs, you can install two or more AntiSpyware programs at the same time.

Do never install two Antivirus programs on the same computer!
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Lightbulb

Hi MonkeyKong,

Since your brother appears to be a computer novice, I'd recommend he install Microsoft Security Essentials rather than the more advanced anti-virus applications suggested by drragostea, mainly due to the "install-and-forget" nature of the application. Updates do, however, rely upon Windows Update so definitely make sure his computer is set to automatically download and install updates should you decide to use MSE.

~

Installing various on-demand anti-malware scanners won't solve the problem, as they won't do much if they just sit there! You really need to introduce a routine of encouraging him (not just yourself as it seems to be currently) to run scans. Of course this isn't an easy thing to do and since you cannot always be there for your brother, a passive/preventative approach such as the suggested hosts file and even Spybot's own immunisation feature are therefore more desirable in this situation.

Ultimately though, no amount of protection is going to stop his computer from becoming infected if his surfing habits don't change. Education I feel is just as important as employing all of these suggestions!

Note to self: I skim too fast.
    Conclusion: honda12 saves the day

honda12 made a great post. One person can have all the money in the world, but it won't be anything to him if he can't use it. I'm sure you can relate that to what honda12 said in the end.