Thread: [spybotsd] section in boot.ini file

Esteemed Member

Default [spybotsd] section in boot.ini file

I happened to look at my boot.ini file in Notepad and noticed an additional two lines

[spybotsd]
    timeout.old=30

The PC boots normally, no problems. I have Spybot 1.6.2.4, sdhelper active, teatimer disabled. XP Pro SP3.

Just curious as to why or how that got put there and what it signifies. The last modified date of the boot.ini file is in December 2009. (I may at that time have been playing with a BartPE disc that includes the spybot plug in; I have also briefly played with the Spybot 2 alpha2; could it be one or the other of these?).

Can I delete those lines, if they serve no purpose?

Default Added safe mode line in boot ini locked out

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenfeld View Post
    I happened to look at my boot.ini file in Notepad and noticed an additional two lines

[spybotsd]
    timeout.old=30

The PC boots normally, no problems. I have Spybot 1.6.2.4, sdhelper active, teatimer disabled. XP Pro SP3.

Just curious as to why or how that got put there and what it signifies. The last modified date of the boot.ini file is in December 2009. (I may at that time have been playing with a BartPE disc that includes the spybot plug in; I have also briefly played with the Spybot 2 alpha2; could it be one or the other of these?).

Can I delete those lines, if they serve no purpose?
    Hello to all,

Basically have a like problem as in the quote.
    I had added a "safe mode' entry to show at boot time.
    I use this safe mode often, as I do things that cause some computer glitches.
    These glitches are no problem. Getting into 'Safe' mode was made easier with this Boot ini modification.

Spybot locks out my modification, showing the [spybotsd] at the end of my mod.
    How can I restore my mod and prevent furture lockouts!

Using Win XP and latest version of Spybot.

Thank You.

Default Unflaging Boot Ini

Quote Originally Posted by talker View Post
    Hello to all,

Basically have a like problem as in the quote.
    I had added a "safe mode' entry to show at boot time.
    I use this safe mode often, as I do things that cause some computer glitches.
    These glitches are no problem. Getting into 'Safe' mode was made easier with this Boot ini modification.

Spybot locks out my modification, showing the [spybotsd] at the end of my mod.
    How can I restore my mod and prevent furture lockouts!

Using Win XP and latest version of Spybot.

Thank You.
    Hello All,
    Did proceed to correct what I'll call my fast and easy 'Boot Startup' into 'Safe Mode'.

I added in '/safeboot:minimal/sos/bootlog", that was suggested in posts from:

http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-add...ndows-xp-menu/

http://www.theeldergeek.com/add_safe..._boot_menu.htm

Will watch closely next go-round of running Spybot to see if it flags my 'Boot.ini' in any manner again. Not sure what will happen next!

(How my boot start up looks now minus that [spybotsd] that disabled my easily getting into Safe Mode.)
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Safe Mode" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/safeboot:minimal/sos/bootlog
    timeout.old=30