Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeno false positive

Quote Originally Posted by bishoper
    2006-07-03 05:10:09 Encountered and terminated Zeno in C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe! from the log.

yeah my teatimer also went nuts over that file and there is no way im gonna give up my nvidia software

Question Yet another Zeno false positive!

Hi! I am new to this forum, though I have been a long time user of Spybot Search and Destroy. I am posting in this thread since it talks about false positives. Similar to experiences of others here, today I got a zeno notice for this program - C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile\File Manager\fmgrsrv.exe - this is the Sony Ericsson File manager for SE phones.

To answer Yodama's question, this came up as a seperate pop-up notice (not the regular teatimer pop up), asking me to either terminate the process (and delete the file) or allow (not recommended) or set the option as notification at every event. Even after I allowed the file, on checking the resident list, it said that teatimer terminated zeno in so-and-so process... (which may be why the software could not detect my phone!!).

I understand that the team would correct this bug in the next beta, but meanwhile, can someone tell me if there is a way to selectively allow this program not to be detected by teatimer?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

suirauqa:

As the pop-up dialog indicates, detected processes are always terminated the first time they are encountered:

Spybot - Search & Destroy has encountered and terminated a process that is listed as part of a malicious software.
    If you checked "Allow this process to run (NOT RECOMMENDED)" under "If Spybot - Search & Destroy encounters this process again", the process should be allowed to run the next time it is encountered by TeaTimer.

If that is not working you could delete the following file which would eliminate the Beta detections until the next update:
    • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\Beta.sbi

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Zeno false positive - SeaMonkey 1.0.2

And yet another false positive in the beta detections - SeaMonkey 1.0.2 (released 01 Jun 2006, update to the browser that replaces no-longer-supported Mozilla) is flagged as Zeno. Kept getting the "kill" popup (over a hundred times) during install, no matter how many times I checked "allow" and "remember this", finally had to kill TeaTimer to do the install correctly, then restart TeaTimer (this time it stopped after only 1 popup where I checked "allow" and "remember").

This is new behavior, I still have the previous installation as well, SeaMonkey 1.0.1 does not get this FP. Detection update is 2006-07-01

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

GreenEyedLady:

I believe that the problem was corrected with the update of 2006-07-07. Please update and see if that is true.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    GreenEyedLady:

I believe that the problem was corrected with the update of 2006-07-07. Please update and see if that is true.
    It's been quite a while since any update server has been reachable, just hangs forever with the search animation, same thing happens consistently across multiple systems repeatedly. However, today I finally got through from one of them and did the 7-14 update - it does NOT correct the problem for SeaMonkey.

@ GreenEyedLady,

does this problem still persist after you restarted teatimer? I just tried to reproduce this fp with the seamonkey installer, but teatimer did not flag any file as zeno.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.