Thread: Failure to Immunize

Default Failure to Immunize

I have used Spybot-S&D for many years. I regularly update the definitions after which I immunize my computer. Today, after updating and immunizing, I still had a number of "Unprotected" items. I could not click to immunize. This has never happened before. I am the Administrator, as I am the only one on my computer. Then I did an "Undo," thinking it would reverse my latest entries. Not so, I now have at the most some 13,120 "Unprotected" items. I cannot do a re-immunization, or at the least don't know how to do it. Please help.

Hello,

Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu,
    instead of just left-clicking to start it.
    Then, choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
    You will find a screenshot of this problem in our FAQ.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra -- Thank you! Before writing my original post, I did what you suggest. I am running Win XP Pro SP 3. When I right-click the SpyBot icon, and select, "Run As..." I see

I didn't know what to select on it. Today, I again tried to immunize, and for the first time, got the Error Message: "You are missing administration rights. If you need ... elevated as an administrator." What could have changed on my system? I've been doing this for years.
    Thank you,
    Stan

Hello,

Please try this:
    Click on "the following user", then enter your password.
    Does that help?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Sandra --

I tried what you suggested using all combinations. It did not work. I am the only User. When I go to the control panel and open, "User Accounts," it lists only, "Stan Jacobson, Computer Administrator." If I click on "Change an Account," it comes up with choices begining with the word "Change," (i.e., change my name; change my picture, etc.), HOWEVER, one choice states, "CREATE a password." The word "Change" is not used, but rather, "Create." To my knowledge, I have never had a password on this computer.

Hope this helps,

Stan Jacobson

Hello Stan,

Which items are not immunized exactly?
    Which browser and browser version do you use exactly?
    Did you close the browser while immunizing?
    Did you try to undo the immunization and then immunize again?
    Have you also used the "Check again" function from the menu bar above?
    If that does not help please also try to click a second time on the immunization tab.
    Sometimes all items get immunized by the second run.
    Do you have other security programs installed that might block the immunization?
    If you can provide a screenshot it would also help.
    Also have a look at this link in our forum.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you for your response. First, let me provide a screenshot:

1. All items are unprotected (i.e., not immunized). Prior to my writing you, I did an "Undo," thinking it would reverse my latest entries. Not so, I now have at the most some 226,177 "Unprotected" items.

2. My "default" browser is IE8 (8.0.6001.18702). I have other browsers on my system. These are FireFox 3.5.7; Opera 9.64; and, Netscape 7.2

3. All browsers are "always" closed during immunization.

4. I did "Undo" the immunization. That is what brought me to the 226,177 "Unprotected" items. The system will not allow me to again immunize. I did try a number of times.

5. As a regular habit, I always use the "Check Again" function on the menu bar.

6. I have clicked many times on the immunization tab. I am no longer allowed to immunize.

7. As commented in item 6 above, I can't immunize a second time.

8. I have AVG Free v9.0.733. I have had AVG for years along with SpyBot S&D.

9. Screen Shot provided at top of page.

10. You referred me to the Forum Message 36272. I read this before emailing my first request for assistance. In particular, I read the Immunization v. AVG section.

Question: As I mentioned previously, I have never had a password as Administrator. Is it possible (silly question) that there is 'bug' in the Microsoft OS, and I am required to insert a password?

Thank you and best regards,

Stan

Hi Sandra --

I don't know what happened. After writing the last post, I again went back and hit the immuize button at the top (i.e., not the left side buttons) of the screen AND IT WORKED. I now have '0' Unprotected items.

I am sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. Believe me when I say it wouldn't work before!

This ticket should now be closed!

Question: Is it OK if I remove my image links?

Best regards and ,

Stan

Hi magicman,

I have found in the past that sometimes Spybot's immunisation becomes "stuck" and that this can be easily remedied by simply clicking 'Undo' and then performing another immunisation. Since you mentioned you performed this procedure (rather inadvertently! ), I can only conclude that this is what fixed the problem.

Glad the you got the problem fixed.
    Is it OK if I remove my image links?
    Since the problem has been solved I would have thought that removing the image links would be absolutely fine, although feel free to wait for verification from Team Spybot.
    Last edited by honda12; 2010-02-24 at 23:01. Reason: Added answer to question ;-)