Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: virtumonde

Emeritus- Malware Team

I asked the previous owner who said there has not been Norton on this machine.
    Could be that it was part of the garbage that many PC makers install as "trialware". I wouldn't worry too much about it as I don't think it's causing problems. Just like to clean out leftovers if any.

Another scan I usually like to see run for any traces is Kaspersky, but it requires Java runtime which I don't see installed on the machine. You could run the AVP tool from Kaspersky.

Please click here to download AVP Tool by Kaspersky.
    • Save it to your desktop.
    • Reboot your computer into SafeMode.
      You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears.
      Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter
    • Double click the setup file to run it.
    • Click Next to continue.
    • It will by default install it to your desktop folder.Click Next.
    • Hit ok at the prompt for scanning in Safe Mode.
    • It will then open a box There will be a tab that says Automatic scan.
    • Under Automatic scan make sure these are checked.

• System Memory
    • Startup Objects
    • Disk Boot Sectors.
    • My Computer.
    • Also any other drives (Removable that you may have)

After that click on Security level then choose Customize then click on the tab that says Heuristic Analyzer then choose Enable Deep rootkit search then choose ok.
    Then choose OK again then you are back to the main screen.

• Then click on Scan at the to right hand Corner.
    • It will automatically Neutralize any objects found.
    • If some objects are left un-neutralized then click the button that says Neutralize all
    • If it says it cannot be Neutralized then chooose The delete option when prompted.
    • After that is done click on the reports button at the bottom and save it to file name it Kas.
    • Save it somewhere convenient like your desktop and just post only the detected Virus\malware in the report it will be at the very top under Detected post those results in your next reply.

Note: This tool will self uninstall when you close it so please save the log before closing it.

Default majorgeeks

again at the link you left me for majorgeeks I encounter the MIME message when I click on the Norton Removal icon. It shows me a black screen with nothing but a lego with 2 questionmarks and the MIME err msg.

Emeritus- Malware Team

Okay....and looks like the link to the Kaspersky tool is dead. I'll look into these. Wondering if you're getting the issues because no Java?

Emeritus- Malware Team

Would you have an issue installing Java runtime? It's free and many sites do require it. But some folks don't like to use it.

Default mm

I dont know java.
    So I guess it is possible.
    I really appreciate you helping me.

Default okay

I will load java. how?

Emeritus- Malware Team

You can get it here.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp

Just skip the step to provide user name, and don't check the box for Sun Download Manager.

Default java

I believe java is installed now.
    I was carefully watching for a checkbox for sun download but didnt see one.
    I didnt check or uncheck a box for it.

Default security check log

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.1
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Out of date service pack!!
    ``````````````````````````````
    Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!
    avast! Free Antivirus
    Antivirus up to date!
    Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Spybot - Search & Destroy
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Java DB 10.5.3.0
    Java(TM) 6 Update 18
    Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 18
    Java Auto Updater
    Out of date Java installed!
    Adobe Reader 7.0.5
    Out of date Adobe Reader installed!
    Process Check:
    objlist.exe by Laurent

Alwil Software Avast5 AvastSvc.exe
    ALWILS~1 Avast5 avastUI.exe
    DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

`````````End of Log```````````

Default HJT log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 11:16:18 AM, on 3/3/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D8053v4\BelkinWCUI.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Safari\Safari.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...RIO&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...RIO&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...RIO&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...RIO&pf=desktop
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCCBHO.CPCCBHO - {22FC6CE8-7D47-479F-B74A-BFBB04ADB9AF} - C:\Program Files\Winferno\PC Confidential\PCCBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlwaysReady Power Message APP] ARPWRMSG.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe (User 'Default user')
    O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Pin.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Belkin Wireless Networking Utility.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {53F6FCCD-9E22-4d71-86EA-6E43136192AB} - C:\Program Files\Winferno\PC Confidential\PCConfidential.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PC Confidential - {53F6FCCD-9E22-4d71-86EA-6E43136192AB} - C:\Program Files\Winferno\PC Confidential\PCConfidential.exe
    O9 - Extra button: PC Confidential - {925DAB62-F9AC-4221-806A-057BFB1014AA} - C:\Program Files\Winferno\PC Confidential\PCConfidential.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
    End of file - 7098 bytes