Thread: SpywareDetector on Malware list

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SpywareDetector on Malware list

A recent Spybot update lists Spyware Detector as malware. What evidence is there of this? Spywarewarrior has removed it from their list.

Hello,

The reasons why Spybot - Search & Destroy detects this software as malware are several ones:
    There are anti-spyware tools like SpywareDetector which have a very dubious or bad character. They state to be an anti-spyware tool but employ questionable advertising methods: In the form of a PopUp they offer a scan of your system. They refer you to an infection of viruses and spyware on your system which is actually not true, because the listed items are not really on your pc. After downloading the software you can only scan for the threats. If the threats (pseudo-infections) are detected you have to register first and pay (up to $30) in order to remove them. Some of these dubious anti-spyware tools do also create a toolbar in IE and create recurring PopUps.

Screenshots are availible at: http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=15694

More dubious anti-spyware tools you will find here:
    http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks, I looked at that post. Unfortunately I studied Spanish and not German but I noticed dates to left was 2005 so I went with the most current date which is in Spyware Warrior's rogue list.

Thanks for the information.

the reason why SpywareDetector is listed as Malware is that it can get installed without userconsent along with a Smithfraud-C infection.
    So basically SpywareDectector will find an infection on your computer, an infection that came along with it. Then they charge you to remove the infection they are responsible for.

concerning Spywarewarrior:
    They do a lot of testing to keep their rogue/suspect list up to date.
    Unfortunately these rogues keep popping up in masses and of course changing quickly.
    This makes it very hard for anyone to always keep an updated list of those.
    Just imagine how long it would take to retest each item in the Spywarewarrior list regularly.

I am not saying the list is unreliable, in fact I am glad it exists, but we cannot make our detections of rogues based on Spywarewarriors list alone.

Since we tested a SpywareDetector sample that came along with Smithfraud, it is clearly Malware and will be treated as such.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thumbs up Spyware Detector is not a fake product

Spyware Detector is an outstanding anti-spyware product, having maximum number of spyware database definitions and capability to remove all new as well as old spyware threats. It also has active monitoring to prevent users from incoming threats. It has a large customer base and provides email, chat and remote connection based technical support free of charge to all subscribed users. It offers incremental updates so that users get the patch as soon as possible. It updates it definitions about 2-3 times a day on the average. It is continuously upgrading product for new techniques of detecting and killing the infections including heuristics.

Most of the anti-spyware products end up with few false positive even though this issue gets the maximum attention in spyware labs. So if any user finds any false positive they are encouraged to remove it. It is never intentional to show users any spyware entry, which is not present on their PC. Our technical support is working very hard to make sure that spyware detector remove 1005 infections without wrongly identifying any legitimate entries.

Max Secure Software had written to SpyBot since they were detecting Spyware Detector as spyware and after further investigation, they have removed this false positive of spybot and do not detect spyware detector any more as spyware.
    Last edited by rachna; 2007-02-23 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by rachna View Post
    Spyware Detector is an outstanding anti-spyware product, having maximum number of spyware database definitions and capability to remove all new as well as old spyware threats. It also has active monitoring to prevent users from incoming threats. It has a large customer base and provides email, chat and remote connection based technical support free of charge to all subscribed users. It offers incremental updates so that users get the patch as soon as possible. It updates it definitions about 2-3 times a day on the average. It is continuously upgrading product for new techniques of detecting and killing the infections including heuristics.

Most of the anti-spyware products end up with few false positive even though this issue gets the maximum attention in spyware labs. So if any user finds any false positive they are encouraged to remove it. It is never intentional to show users any spyware entry, which is not present on their PC. Our technical support is working very hard to make sure that spyware detector remove 1005 infections without wrongly identifying any legitimate entries.

Max Secure Software had written to SpyBot since they were detecting Spyware Detector as spyware and after further investigation, they have removed this false positive of spybot and do not detect spyware detector any more as spyware.
    Can we have an administrator look into this?

/edit.
    Since we tested a SpywareDetector sample that came along with Smithfraud, it is clearly Malware and will be treated as such.
    Rachna has infiltrated the Spy-bot forums.
    Last edited by Devan; 2007-02-25 at 16:58.

Cool SpyWare Detector as Malware?

I cannot understand why Spybot continues to detect Max Software's Spyware Detector as malware (I only became aware of this today subsequent to uploading latest version of Spybot - I had previously been using an earlier version which nicely complimented the Spyware Detector, and Adaware products. Fortunately, I caught it in the list and was able to omit it from entries to be deleted, thereby avoiding the hassle of communicating with the Max folks to reinstall and re-registeri my Detector product. I've subsequently modified settings in Spybot Mode options to ignore the product from further scans.
    The Detector product is highly regarded in the industry, it's data base is maintained vigorously with frequent updates to new threats, and has gained an increasingly large installation base of paid, loyal users over the last few years. Instead of persisting in what appears to be a pissing contest between your two excellent products, I believe it would be in the best interest of user security for the products to play well together once again.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    Last edited by dvmorrison; 2008-09-15 at 22:06.

again we find affiliates
    those who profit somehow from a rogue product pimping and spaming this forum

any google search will find many horror stories

here's a reasonably unbiased review friom March of this year
    http://www.2-spyware.com/review-max-...-detector.html

Max Secure Spyware Detector review
    Max Secure Spyware Detector uses false positives. The application was tested on clean uninfected computer. Both full and quick system scans were performed. The program found 4 critical objects related to 3 worms. Analysis showed that registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Zone Labs Client associated with Chod mass-mailing worm actually is related with fully legitimate ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. Directories C:\Program Files\mIRC, C:\Program Files\eMule and C:\Program Files\eMule\Incoming belong to mIRC chat client and harmless file sharing program eMule. These applications have nothing in common with Serflog worm. See a screenshot below.

Full system scan approximately takes one minute. The program doesn't thoroughly check the content of each file.

Free version allows to remove parasites only once. After later scans it will refuse to eliminate malware and will ask to register and purchase the full product.

There is a strange mistake in Max Secure Spyware Detector interface. Instead of "Spyware" developers decided to use the word "Worms". Does this mean that Max Secure Spyware Detector finds only worms?

The official domain is spywaredetector.net.

We DO NOT recommend purchasing or using this program.

False positives as an inducement is grounds for listing
    bundling with adware/ malware/ spyware by affiliates is grounds for listing

here is the laugh of the day
    recommending spy Hunter for removing
    http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-spywaredetector

and

will the real Spyware Detector please stand up
    http://www.411-spyware.com/remove/rogue-anti-spyware

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...Off0244136.htm
    Last edited by wyrmrider; 2008-09-16 at 01:55.

Hello dvmorriso,

Please note md usa spybot fan's suggestion to another member.
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post

I would like to suggest that you repost in the False Positives forum so that it is more likely that your query will receive the attention of a "Team Spybot" member. Please follow the posting instructions for that forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    again we find affiliates
    those who profit somehow from a rogue product pimping and spaming this forum
    You do not know that wyrmrider, at this time a member is merely asking questions.

If users wish to query a detection please post in the false positive forum.

If the topic is left unanswered Team will see it more readily.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016