Thread: immunize hangs, uses 100% CPU

Default immunize hangs, uses 100% CPU

The title pretty much says it all. I DL'd the latest update then ran immunize. It got part way through the process and then froze. I tried starting the program up again and running it again, and same problem. So I gave up on the immunize for the moment and ran the scan. The program began using 98% to 100% of the CPU. It didn't hang, but its resource usage remained this high throughout the entire scan. I've never had this happen before.

Hello,

Which Spybot version do you have?
    Did you close your browser during the immunization?
    Do you have any other security software installed?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra,

Thanks for your reply.

Answering your questions:

1.6.2.46 with latest updates

Yes. FWIW, Opera 10.10 is the main browser. I just switched back to this version from 10.51. I also have IE6 and the latest FF on the system. I've never used FF until now and it was added since the last time I ran Spybot S&D. Maybe having a new browser and a changed browser is somehow part of the problem? (BTW, separate issue, I know, but I can't stay logged in to this forum using Opera. Very annoying...)

Yes, avast free version 5.0.462 with latest definitions, Comodo Firewall (antivirus and Defense+ disabled) v. 3.14.130099.57, Malwarebytes free version 1.44 with latest updates (no real-time protection). Have used these programs for a while (previous versions, also) with no conflicts with Spybot S&D.

Also, running on Windows XP Home SP3 with latest updates
    Last edited by uzer5; 2010-03-26 at 00:48. Reason: punctuation :)

Hello,

Perhaps it really helps if you make an uninstall of those browser versions and then download a clean version of your browser.

On the other hand there had been reports about the latest Opera browser.
    This seems to be a common problem where no solution is present at the moment. With the new version Opera has made some changes, that affect the immunization. Please deactivate the cookie immunization of Spybot-S&D, to complete the immunization. Please note that after undoing the immunization of Opera 10 a re-immunization of Opera 10 currently may not be possible, even if Spybot-S&D shows a success.
    We are working on this item to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi,

As far as the immunization, I saw after I posted my last reply that there are other threads about a known bug with being unable to immunize the new version of Firefox. I unticked the boxes for FF and ran the immunize and it worked fine for everything else, so as far as that goes it is obviously the Firefox bug.

I have not run a scan again to see if S&D is still using full CPU.

I'm a little unclear on your latest reply about clean installing the browser(s). Is this strictly in regard to immunization issues or also about my problem with being recognized as logged in/staying logged in to this forum when using Opera?

I have a lot of notes, bookmarks and customization in Opera; I'm really not too keen on the idea of doing a backup, uninstall, clean install and resetting everything.
    Last edited by uzer5; 2010-03-27 at 01:28.

I am having the same problem. I reinstalled Spybot and all updates. But immunize hangs everytime. However it seems to be a Firefox problem as I have unchecked Firefox in the immunize window and it works fine.