Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trojan in Spybot?

Default Trojan in Spybot?

This computer has McAfee Internet Security on it. After Spybot finished a scheduled scan today, and before I closed the interface, McAfee updated. When I closed the McAfee update finished notification, it popped up a window saying it removed an infection. I then closed Spybot. The McAfee alert closed right away so I had to open the McAfee program and find the log to see what all it said. It listed a real-time scan:

Generic.dxlqin(Trojan)
    File: C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy\SDShred.exe
    Process: C:\Windows\system32\werfault.exe
    Process description: Windows Problem Reporting

I searched McAfee virus information/database for this trojan and it could not find it. It showed zero results. Can you possibly give me some insight if this was a false positive or did Spybot actually catch a trojan? I cannot find the Shredder in Spybot using the interface or through Windows Explorer and looking at the Program Files directory. Have you removed this tool or is it gone now because McAfee removed it? I know it used to be there.

thanks.

Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 IE8

Default Same problem here!

I too received a virus notification regarding this file while using McAfee VirusScan Ent + AntiSpyware 8.5i
    Scan Eng (32bit) 5400.1158
    DAT Version: 5938.0000
    DAT Created on: April 1, 2010
    Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT Version: 493

The application was: \windows\explorer.exe

Just happened to me too. I updated Spybot and did a minor Windows software update. Upon reboot McAfee immediately identified sdshred.exe as containing trojan Generic.dx!gln and deleted it. I checked the program files and Spybot and there's no sign of SDShred. Maybe this is McAfee's idea of an April Fool's joke?

Default Same thing here..booooo

I have the same Mcafee specs as yours rjr7665 and just got the same notice about sdshred.exe and it was deleted by virusscan. Not sure when exactly, but it happened after I logged off at work , so in the last 4 hours or so.

Default me to

McAfee sometimes loses it`s mind i suppose. yesterday i also got an old version of Ccleaner (227) flagged by McAfee, crazy. McAfee should straiten this kind of mess out. Not much Spybot SD can do about this i assume.

i even cannot mark this shredder .exe as trusted by McAfee. I have a free version of McAfee with my internet provider, that is the only reason i`m using it. otherwise i would use NOD32 i guess.

Default Me Too

I'm getting this too - both my laptop and PC.

The laptop tells me the virus has been deleted.
    The PC tells me the virus has been quarantined (i.e. not deleted).

Have not tried to use Spybot yet, didn't know if it was safe to do so.

Default False positive

Hi guys,
    I think it's another false postive as the sdshred.exe refers to Spybot SHREDDER, that is a safe way to delete Your files from the hard drive deleting them writing on several 0 and 1 random data (such as PGP's WIPE.exe). My current version of Mcafee Total protection has put it in quarantine, saying its a generic trojan dx!gln. Well I dont' think so as I used sdshred.exe in the past and it never had problem. Anyway I sent the file to Mcafee and I'm waiting for their response. If You everybody don't need to delete Your file in a sure way, Spybot will work fine, although the file has been deleted. The only trouble is that the link under START/PROGRAMS/SPYBOT "FILE SHREDDER" will no longer work.
    As soon as Mcafee will send the response, I'll post it hear.
    Bye

Live long and prosper

Anyway I sent the file to Mcafee and I'm waiting for their response.
    Thanks Mega Tornaconto, I will be watching for that result. Your posting it would really be appreciated. I couldn't find a way to reach McAfee about this other than paid support, which I am not going to do being that it is their mess up....obviously.

This is just peachie. At least it wasn't a crucial file. I don't like McAfee anyhow and this subscription was just renewed. If this was my computer I'd cancel it anyhow.

Is there some way of getting Shredder back without reinstalling the whole program? That would not be worth it.

I got the same thing this morning and did a search for this problem and found this thread.

Looking forward to hearing what McAfee says.

Default getting Shredder back without reinstalling the whole program

Hi Eric,
    I don't know if its possible or not. May be it could be an Spybot's add on and perhaps You can add it from the installation program: You can try to ask to the staff support. In any case just wait a while as soon as someone will tell if it's really a false positive.
    Anyway it's not a critical file for the Spybot and, if I've understood, if You don't have the necessity to use it so far. So I think its better wait for some news. To contact Mcafee without paying: I've sent the file directly from the quarantine window but they need time, at times two or three days: as a registered user they will send me an answer by e-mail. Maybe You can try this way if You have a similar Mcafee product installed.
    Bye

Live long and prosper