Thread: Proper use of Immunize function & Advanced Mode?

Default Proper use of Immunize function & Advanced Mode?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have a question about the Spybot SnD Immunize function. When one immunizes, the program comes back and says something like 1775 items immunized, 6500 additional items can be protected against, please immunize. What exactly does this mean and how do I immunize those additional items? I know that some of this has something to do with the mode pulldown and the standard mode versus/or the advanced mode. My setup of SnD is set to standard mode and when I click to set on advanced it warns me that if I set to advanced and not know what it or the change will do that some of the settings in advanced mode can hurt my box so I cancel since I do not know what the settings should be to not harm anything. I figured I'd better find out about it and ask before changing anything, so here I am. I've just never heard this discussed or explained on what this setup should be and why? Any SnD smarties out there?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Firstly, read the paragraph that starts with "The first level of protection is immunization …" in following thread to gain some knowledge about immunization:

Apparently, you run some other software that offers similar protections as Spybot's immunization or have manually added protections to Internet Explorer that accounts for the "775 items immunized".

To fully immunize:
    • Go into Spybot.
    • Click the Immunize (button in the left pane).
    • When the following message appears:
      • Warning
        xxxxx bad products already blocked, xxxxx additional protections possible. Please immunize.
        OK

Click "OK".
    • Then click the "Immunize" button (has a large green plus sign) at the top of the right pane to fully immunize.

There is a warning issued before going into "Advanced mode" because there are options/facilities available in "Advanced mode" "… that can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing."

Immunization is available in "Default mode" and except under very unusual circumstances does not cause any undesirable results.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you md for the reply. I had read that description post you wrote back a while ago and I was going to post there but the thread was closed. As I said I had read that paragraph, all 4 actually, on that thread but was still unsure of what may be a wrong way of going about things. I do have other protections on my system namely, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, A-squared, SpywareGuard and a few other protects for registry-ReProtect-, for startup-StartupMonitor and the like. So what can I mess up in/with the advanced mode that I should stay away from? While I waited for a reply, I saw a topic for a fix of the accept/deny popup for Spybot SnD and I read it and did the fix which required me to switch to advanced mode so I could do the resource hacker fix. Should I not have done that or is that ok? As I said I'm new to the forum and I had never had anyone at other forums-pcmag, extremetech, SWI, spywarewarrior-properly explain the proper use of the immunize function and so I wanted to come directly to the source once I found out there was a forum here. Thanks again and I will await for your help and guidance with this. Thanks again very much...

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

drpepper55:

No settings are change just going into "Advanced mode" nor are any changes made just by going into the individual items listed under "Settings" or "Tools".

In general the options under "Settings" control the way that Spybot-S&D operates. If you go into the individual options there is a brief description at that top of the page for each option and by clicking the Help button within each option there is a more detailed explanation of the option.

The options under "Tools" also have brief description at that top of the page for each option and a Help button which provides a more detailed explanation.

The options under "Tools" vary in level of knowledge required to use or understand the option. There are some very useful options that should be considered for use by almost all users. For example the following option allows the Spybot-S&D user to review the logs produced during scans and fixes:
    • View Report - View a complete or specific system report in text format.

The following options could be considered for use with just a basic understanding of what they do:
    • IE tweaks - Modify some hidden Internal Explorer settings.
    • Hosts File - Take a look at your hosts list.

Then there are options such as the following that if used to modify system values can cause system problems if those changes are not done properly:
    • Resident - Show the report created by the permanent protection of Spybot-S&D.
      • Specifically this feature:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
    • ActiveX - Show a list of ActiveX applications installed into Internet Explorer.
    • BHOs - Show and manage the Browser Helper Objects from your Internet Explorer.
    • Browser Pages - Show and change the start and search pages that Internet Explorer uses.
    • Process List - Show all running processes and their loaded modules.
    • System Internals - Search for registry inconsistencies.
    • System Startup - Show and manage the applications that your machine will run.
    • Uninstall info - Show all registered software uninstall entries.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you md usa spybot fan for the great explanation. I did what I had learned yesterday on the Immunize function and it seems as though I was operating without all of my possible protection all of this time when if only I had known I may have been able to stave off some of the things I've been attacked by, not alot but some, and I didn't know better because while I thought I was immunized from clicking on the side 'Immunize' of the main page, I was really not immunizing at all because that is when I would get the message about '1600 items are protected' and '6400 additional items can be protected, please immunize' and I would close thinking those add'l. items were being immunized automatically or if not that I had to make changes to switch to advanced mode to enable and since I was cautioned about that I just backed off. It seems that then I've been using SpybotSnD simply for its cleaning function and not for its blocking function and I was wasting not using its total capability. I've now enabled its full potential and now I feel like I'm loaded for bear, got all my armor, and it's almost like I want something to attack me so I can defeat it, but nothing has popped up and it may just be that it is silently working to block any attacks and I really don't need to do anything where before I would get those popups from teatimer where something was trying to change settings or to add itself to things and now they're blocked and so I don't get these warfnings. Great. Like I said I almost feel like the guy in that joke that took the Karate lessons and then he walks down the street in a rough neighborhood wanting someone to pick a fighr with him. Security though is the quiet confidence that you are protected, so no complaints. Thanks again very much for your help...

BTW md, I have to compliment and say that as an advisor here you've got the perfect sig saying, 'Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another'

Getting an answer is one thing, learning it/applying it is indeed another...

that's great...