Thread: Hosts file entries

Question Hosts file entries

I use Spybot S&D 1.6.2. Have for some time. I was researching the use of the HOSTS file in Windows XP. I looked at my HOSTS file and found it contained a long list of domain names with the address of 127.0.0.1 which in affect prevants them form being called form my computer.
    The info in the HOSTS file says these items were placed there by the Spybot program. No Problem!
    My question is if I delete these items from the file will Spybot re-enter them? And if not should I re-enter them even if I have other Domain names in there to block Ads?

Hello,

By the immunization of Spybot - Search & Destroy the baddies are blocked.
    That means that the sites where the baddies come from are added to the restricted zones in order to block them.
    So if you delete this list, the immunization of Spybot won't work anymore.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question Hosts & Restricted area

Spybot puts the known bad sites in both the restricted area AND in the Hosts file. Why both? If I uncheck "Global (Hosts)" in the immunize page will this prevent the list from being entered into the Hosts File?

I checked the restricted area and the list is there. I looked at the Hosts file and the size did not change from before the immunize.

I'm using my Hosts file for ads blocking and when I put the spybot list into it I have access problems with my browser.