Thread: Instant Messenger of choice?

Default Instant Messenger of choice?

I'm in search of an instant messenger that functions well, is secure, and offers privacy, which includes not collecting your private info, installing invasive-ware, etc. This pretty much lets out the big names, such as Yahoo, MSN, and as I understand it, Digsby. I'm hoping for one that has multiple popular IM's on it, without their privacy violations and bloatware. I've heard that IM plus social networking such as Twitter might even be available.

I'd greatly prefer something that receives offline messages and gives email alerts.

Is it too big a dream?

I'd even pay a reasonable fee, if necessary, as long as there was a way to pay for it without providing private information, such as my name and address.

I'd appreciate your knowledgeable advice!
    Last edited by I_dream_of_Mercury; 2010-04-18 at 15:48.

The open-source client Pidgin sounds like it would suit your needs well.

Quote Originally Posted by honda12 View Post
    The open-source client Pidgin sounds like it would suit your needs well.
    Honda, thanks for the suggestion. I'm taking a look at the website.

So you find Pidgin works reliably? I just don't want to worry about the problems created by malfunctions, such as missing messages that others assume you received and haven't answered.

And I wonder if you know, is there a risk to using plug-in's, since many of the plug-ins are from a different source, that they'll have malware, exploitable vulnerabilities, etc, from their source?

Hi I_dream_of_Mercury,
    I just don't want to worry about the problems created by malfunctions
    From my experience the most reliable clients for individual protocols are the clients made for those protocols i.e. Windows Live Messenger for MSN. There's no better way of ensuring that the person on the other end is receiving you well than by using the same client that he/she is using.

That being said, I've had minimal trouble from using Pidgin in the past. Only until recently Pidgin was the default instant messaging client on the popular linux distribution Ubuntu (it has subsequently been replaced by another linux-only client due to Pidgin's lack of video chat capability).
    is there a risk to using plug-in's ... ?
    There is always a risk to using 3rd party plugins and the best way to minimise that risk is by, of course, avoiding 3rd party plugins altogether. Be aware that Pidgin does have some "officially supported" plugins that come bundled with the install. They are not however enabled by default. More info: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins

Surely using a secure client only solves part of the problem? Most, if not all the major protocols require the user to enter in private information such as postcode at registration. Or am I missing the point of your objective?

Best regards,

honda