Thread: Spybot Scans Successfully, But Hangs On Fix

Default Spybot Scans Successfully, But Hangs On Fix

Hi,

I've recently been helped with removing some malware (thread, for reference), and while Spybot helped diagnose the problem, it seems to be permanently broken for me. It scans my system without problem (which again was useful in catching things no other scan did), but when I click the fix selected problems button, it hangs. Even when all I'm trying to do is remove a single tracking cookie in a browser.

I've tried the following to fix the problem:
    - Getting latest updates from inside Spybot.
    - Completely uninstalling, deleting files left behind by installer and reinstalling.
    - Running the scan and fix in safe mode.
    - Only selecting a single item to fix, something easy to remove like a tracking cookie.

...And none of those approaches worked. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I don't think I'm still infected with anything, other malware scanners I've tried scan and fix without a problem. (Not that that proves anything, I guess.)

Thanks.

Hello,

Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode. That should fix it.

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
    Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The checkboxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks anymore. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the checkbox in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi, I've actually tried running Spybot in Safe Mode with all other security programs disabled, several times, and it didn't help.

I'm OK with Spybot removing tracking cookies, or did you mean the problem comes from it scanning for cookies?

Hello,

The problem seems to be due to fixing of found cookies.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot