Thread: new here

Default new here

hello,

i am just new here and didn't know if this is the right place to post this.

i ran spybot recently and it found 2 items:

windows security center.antivirusdisablenotify
    and
    windows security center. firewalldisablenotify

and ever since i removed them i can't update my windows thru windowsupdate.com and my norton liveupdate always says all definitions are updated when i know they have daily updates on definitions.

did removing these 2 items cause this or am i just imagining things???

thanks in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

btungol:

Fixing those two detections should not have caused the problems that you described with updating.

If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
    • Firewall
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
    • Automatic Updates
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
    • Virus Protection
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

By default Norton Internet Security appears to turn off the Firewall and Virus Protection alerts (first and third items) in the Windows Security Center. This causes Spybot to get the following two detections during a scan:

Code:
    Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
    Turning on those alerts by fixing the problems with Spybot would not cause any problem. In fact Norton normally would just turn the alerts off again the next time your boot the system causing Spybot to detect the problems again during subsequent scans.

Are you running Spybot's TeaTimer? If so have you answered any registry change dialog messages related to entries for either Windows update or Norton's Live Update?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    btungol:

Fixing those two detections should not have caused the problems that you described with updating.

If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
    • Firewall
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
    • Automatic Updates
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
    • Virus Protection
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

By default Norton Internet Security appears to turn off the Firewall and Virus Protection alerts (first and third items) in the Windows Security Center. This causes Spybot to get the following two detections during a scan:

Code:
    Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
    Turning on those alerts by fixing the problems with Spybot would not cause any problem. In fact Norton normally would just turn the alerts off again the next time your boot the system causing Spybot to detect the problems again during subsequent scans.

Are you running Spybot's TeaTimer? If so have you answered any registry change dialog messages related to entries for either Windows update or Norton's Live Update?
    no i am not running tea timer at the moment because im not too familiar with it. I dont know what to do.