Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with 48 problems found on SPYBOT

Unhappy Newbie with 48 problems found on SPYBOT

Okay, so I am very new here and have been trying for weeks to find a solution to my problem..after search and searching the internet and not either finding my same problem or help that I can understand I was refferred to download Spybot.....

Okay so my problem is all of my desktop icons have changed and now they all have a lil box with a arrow pointing upward, I can open the programs with no problem just didn't like how they looked...

It was suggested to me to check the properties on a program and when I did it doesn't have "exe on the end it had .lnk...

I have scanned like crazy with my Norton anti virus and it always says tracking cookies (but no virus have ever been attacked to my computer) But when I just used Spy Bot it is saying I have 48 threats and when I clicked on repair it says I am NOT the administrtor..(well then who is?) I just got this laptop in Jan.

Hope someone can talk to me and guide me...

Thanks

Okay after posting this just saw how to "run as admin" and did that and now Spybot is saying that it fixed 3 of the 48 roblems and now wants to run at next start up, other boxes are popping up saying something like spybot deleting b1065, and things like that...*heavy sigh* what did I do wrong?

Spybot..deleting d5953
    Oh an in another window it's saying that I should have a admin run and scan again..*sigh*

Okay so at restart Spybot is deleting...
    b3966
    d3716
    b7314
    d6390
    b1065
    d5953

I hope I am giving correct and concise information

Esteemed Member

The shortcuts on your desktop are links to the program exe, and by default have the little arrow. If you want to remove the little arrow, for Windows XP, at least, one handy way is to use TweakUI (a free Microsoft powertoy you can download from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

After installation of TweakUI, open it and in the left pane click the + next to Explorer, click shortcut. Then in the right pane underr overlay set it to none, click apply, OK.

Esteemed Member

Meant to edit my post to add that for Vista or Windows 7, see

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...and-Vista.html

I should also have added that removing the little arrow from a shortcut to a program's .exe file may lead to confusion between the shotcut and the real .exe file.
    Last edited by Rosenfeld; 2010-04-26 at 02:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenfeld View Post
    Meant to edit my post to add that for Vista or Windows 7, see

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...and-Vista.html

I should also have added that removing the little arrow from a shortcut to a program's .exe file may lead to confusion between the shotcut and the real .exe file.
    Okay thanks , and yes I have windows 7, so let me try and see what happens, Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMom View Post
    Okay thanks , and yes I have windows 7, so let me try and see what happens, Thanks for the response.
    Okay I click on download blank.zip.icon..and when I did another window popped up saying

File association
    File type"Zip compressed archived file
    File Extension: Zip
    Software infor available at
    addian Systems Stuffit for windows
    winace
    winamp
    winzip(which is highlighted in red)
    Bitzipper

I feel so dumb cause I am soooo confused

Did the download and did the steps, and still I have this arrow on my desktop..I give up...*ugh!!!*

Thanks for trying to help me

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMom View Post
    Did the download and did the steps, and still I have this arrow on my desktop..I give up...*ugh!!!*

Thanks for trying to help me

PhillyMom.....I know how fun it is for us to "decorate" our PCs and make all the bells and whistles look just how we want them to be. I know because I've "decorated" the hell outta my PC and love it.

Having said that, these icons you have with the little arrows in the left-hand corner really need to just be let alone. Just go with the flow on this one.........yes?