Thread: Please help me!

Default Please help me!

I will try and keep all emotion out of this as i am at an end as to what to do. I am not that great with computers either so i will try to be as consise as possible.

The problem i am having is:

When logging onto XP, my computer will display the desktop for about 2 seconds and then it will disappear leaving only the background. This is a new problem as it was working fine yesterday. Unfortunatley it is a new computer and dont have Spybot loaded onto it, however i have used spybot in the past to great effect. I currently have it loaded onto my laptop. I am worried though if i join onto this infected network my laptop will in turn be infected (i cant take the risk as it is my work laptop).

Anyway, what should i do? Can i get my infected computer to boot Spybot from a CD, as i cant download it and from the internet as windows is not working?

Any help would be much appriciated as i have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance

Sorry double post. I am definitely a noob.
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-07-11 at 04:44. Reason: Duplicate post removed :-)

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

Are you familur with last known good ?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852/
    If using that option doesnt work try restarting into safe mode and running scans there (such as your antivirus program)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2006

hi ivestar,

can you still work with your computer?
    What happens if you rightclick on the background?
    can you start the taskmanager and is the taskbar available?

windows xp has options to hide desktopicons: rightclick on background - arrange icons - display desktop icons (note: the labeling will likely differ because I just assumed the english names since I have a german Windows XP here, but they should be similar)

and also does this happen with every account on this computer?

You can copy the spybot folder to an usb-stick or burn it to a cd and just start it from there. This would be the easiest way to scan with spybot if it is not installed on your computer, that needs scanning. A rewriteable media should be prefered so you can update Spybot later.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thanks, i will try this tonight.

I cant edit my posts so i have to double post, Sorry.

Unfortunatley it happens on all accounts, and it is not the option to hide the icons. I basically cant work with my computer at all. Nothing happens if i right click on the backround, the task bar is not available, and i cant seem to start the task manager (Ctrl alt delete). So unfortunately i cant go in and start Spybot from a cd or usb key. That's why i was wondering if i could get it to run on bootup.

have you tried Lonnys aproach?
    you need to press F8 at systemboot (before the windows-loading screen appears)

if you are familiar with WindowsPE (or BartPE for private people) you can start Spybot from there (and other scanners as well)
    WindowsPE or BartPE allows you to boot a computer from an external media like a cd-rom or usb-device.

BartPE on Wikipedia
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.