Thread: Sounds like a great product, but...

Question Sounds like a great product, but...

Hi, I'm a new user to this forum. My PC has been infected with a virus that is very subtle. It is causing only one problem (that I can see): it won't allow any AV virus definition files to be downloaded. I first became aware of the problem when Windows Security Center alerted me to the fact that my AV software was out of date. When I tried to update it, I get a "cannot connect to the server" error message. I've tried this with several different AV products; all have the same problem.

What are the chances that this product will fix the problem; should I be looking elsewhere of a solution? How long will the virus definition data on the CD be up-to-date?

Hello,

The Bootable CD should help with this problem.
    But the updates need also to be downloaded for the CD.
    You can do that as follows:
    Please download the update file on another computer, copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for that solution. Actually, I did read somewhere else about this standalone virus definition file. So I downloaded it and booted in safe mode and ran it; then ran SBSD again. It found three additional malware objects. I'm not sure it eliminated all of the infections, however. I tried to use SBSD's "search for updates" function and it failed (could not connect to the server). Now, some three hours later, I tried again and it worked??? I haven't checked any of the other AV sites yet. I will let you know what I find out.

Unhappy

Well, I tried to update the AVAST virus database and got the same error: "cannot connect to the server." So I guess that SBSD did not find all of the malware on my computer. I don't know where to go next; surely there are sources of online scans or for other tools that I could run before Windows boots up? I just haven't had much luck finding them.

Still, SBSD has done it's share; it just came up short this time. I certainly will continue to use it.

Hello rjs483374,

If you would like someone to take a look at the system you can start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions on posting a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

If DDS won't run please start a new topic anyway informing of the issue and provide a link back to this thread.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Smile

Hi Tashi,

Thanks for your help. I opened a topic in the Malware Removal Forum per your suggestion. I'm waiting...with my fingers crossed...for help.