Thread: SpyBot closes (no crash message) suddenly while scanning

Default SpyBot closes (no crash message) suddenly while scanning

I have been trying to use SpyBot to remove some bad stuff from my computer, however it will close suddenly while scanning, there is no error message saying it crashed and it does not go to a "not responding" status, the window simply closes and the scan stops.

While SpyBot is running it is scanning fine and I can see file names that are obviously spyware (names like KGBKeylogger) however the program stops and closes before the scan is complete and I cannot complete the scan to remove the threats from my computer, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SpyBot with no different results.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you.

Hello Convalescence,
    Quote Originally Posted by Convalescence View Post
    I have been trying to use SpyBot to remove some bad stuff from my computer,
    What indications of infection have you experienced?
    While SpyBot is running it is scanning fine and I can see file names that are obviously spyware (names like KGBKeylogger)
    During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows what Spybot-S&D is checking for, it does not mean that all these items are on your PC.

Please open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About and let us know the version and date of last definitions.

Also, what is your operating system and please list other security programs installed.

Best regards
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I've had accounts for some games tampered with, and had one of my accounts shut down temporarily due to the game's company detecting keyloggers on my computer.

the version is 1.6.2.46 and I'm using windows XP, I had Ad Aware Installed but due to the warning message from SpyBot I uninstalled it, other than that no security programs. I tried updating SpyBot and was able to except for a 5MB detection rules up date. (bad checksum error) Last date of definitions is 5/12/10

Hello Convalescence,
    the version is 1.6.2.46 and I'm using windows XP, I had Ad Aware Installed but due to the warning message from SpyBot I uninstalled it, other than that no security programs.
    No anti virus program?
    I've had accounts for some games tampered with, and had one of my accounts shut down temporarily due to the game's company detecting keyloggers on my computer.
    Please follow the instructions in this link to post a preliminary DDS log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum and copy paste the log into it.

If DDS won't run please start a new thread anyway, make note of the situation and a volunteer analyst will advise you when available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016