Thread: Registry Entries SpyBot Left Behind

Default Registry Entries SpyBot Left Behind

Hello All, I really don't think I am going to be popular on your forum as I have just uninstalled SpyBot S&D and, after browsing through the registry I have found hundreds, maybe over a thousand entries which I believe may have been left behind when uninstalling SpyBot. Obviously, I want all these entries removed (some of the names I dare not mention here). Would someone please help me out with this problem.

Regards Dysan

Hello,

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy, please consider the following link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Spybot - Search & Destroy will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove doesn't help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\).

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

"hundreds, maybe over a thousand entries which I believe may have been left behind when uninstalling SpyBot.... (some of the names I dare not mention here)".

Did you use SpyBot to IMMUNIZE your system? If so, I believe what you have found are references to the restricted sites and cookies that SpyBot was blocking. Simply uninstalling Spybot does NOT remove these.

If this is in fact what you're referring to, you need to
    1) reinstall SpyBot and then open/run it
    2) click on IMMUNIZE, and then click on UNDO. Be sure to confirm that NOTHING is protected any more.
    3) exit SpyBot, and then UNinstall it again.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure that UNDO immunization actually removes the registry entries... I recall once reading that all it does is mark the registry entries as being UNprotected. (I guess you'll find out soon enough.) Regardless, it's still a "cleaner" way to uninstall SpyBot, by not allowing its immunization/protection to "linger on" after you remove the program.
    Last edited by ky331; 2010-06-19 at 21:32.