Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recurring alert on startup

Default recurring alert on startup

Hi Friends,
    I've recently installed S&D on a new laptop. After installing...well I don't remember what at the moment, but afterwards, every time I startup, there's an alert for...I think it's Active x, Valued Deleted. And I know that I can just check 'Remember this decision', and it will automatically be Allowed at every startup.

For the most part, I'm fine with that. But partly I'm curious why my allowing the alert once doesn't forever delete the thing I'm allowing. And I wonder if there's is some way to have to make my allowing it once, permanent?

FYI, the Deny button is grayed out, or I would try that for a permanent solution. Also I looked up the Active X listings in the program, and it's not there; probably allowing the action deletes the it, at least until next startup. There IS an Active X with the exact same CLSID, except for one character difference, which is a Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0. It's bold, with no green checkmark icon, which apparently means that it's not listed in your database. (There are 2 other JRE with green checkmarks, and another without, but not bolded.)

Anyway, 2 questions:
    Why isn't my Allow decision permanent?
    And is there anyway to make this decision permanent, so that S&D doesn't have to remember it every startup?

Which version of Spybot do you have,brynn?

latest version....1.6.2

Okie-doke.There was an issue with an older version of Spybot that was very similar to what is happening with you.That was corrected in later versions,so this probably isn't what is happening.But,it's an easy thing to try,so might as well give it a shot,and if it doesn't work,I'll look around for another solution.
    Please try this,and let me know how it goes:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...38&postcount=6

Ok, I have performed those steps, and will let you know after next startup if it was successful.

(Looks like I asked the same question years ago, eh? But weird because this is on a different computer) (btw, as I recall, it solved that problem back then, so cross fingers )

Thanks for your help

haha,I didn't realize the post I put the link for was from your post.
    You're welcome,hope it works.

haha,I didn't realize the post I put the link for was from your post.
    Yeah, I was pretty confused at first, lol!

Unfortunately, it didn't work this time :-(

Okie-doke,we'll try another way.
    Could you rightclick Teatimer,select Show Log,then Copy and Paste some of the last lines at the bottom here?
    Also,do you have Internet Explorer 8?

Yes, it's IE8 and it's the only browser I have.
    I hope I copied enough. I went back to the day where you had me disable and restart TeaTimer.

6/8/2010 7:45:24 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
    6/8/2010 8:44:57 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
    6/8/2010 8:47:31 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot S&D\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
    6/8/2010 8:47:42 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
    6/8/2010 10:10:39 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
    6/9/2010 1:20:03 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
    6/10/2010 9:57:49 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
    6/10/2010 1:17:55 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "FlashPlayerUpdate" (new data: "C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10e.exe") added in System Startup user entry!

Yes,you did copy enough.
    I'm not sure why Teatimer keeps prompting about the Active X control being deleted on every start-up.
    If the Active X control is still on your computer,deleting it will get Teatimer to stop prompting about it on every start-up,though.Or,you could click Allow,and Remember This Decision,if you prefer.

I'm not sure if the active x will show in Internet Explorer,or if it's still present anywhere on your computer,or if this is something with Teatimer,but if the Active X control is still present,it might be listed in IE 8.

Could you open Internet Explorer,click Tools,Manage add-ons,then Enable or Disable add-ons,then in the dropdown box beside Show,select Downloaded active x controls.
    CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA is listed as filename jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab at SystemLookup.

In Downloaded active x controls,you should see something like Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20.If you scroll over to file,it shows the .dll file names.
    I'm not sure if it will show as jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab there,but Active X controls are just downloaded again the next time if they are needed,so you can highlight jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab if you see it listed there,then delete it.
    If it doesn't show as jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab,you could highlight and delete anything there with Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 or similar,and delete it.