Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&D tries to update from 127.0.0.1

Default S&D tries to update from 127.0.0.1

I have uninstalled and re-installed with no joy. I can browse the internet, ping ip and url but S&D and my anti virus will not update. S&D shows it is attempting to connect to 127.0.0.1 instead of the www.

Well, lets start with some details: what exactly is your antivirus application?
    How is it called, where did you download it?

Just from that rough description, I would nearly guess your antivirus is a so-called rogue - a fake application, but we can only guess that without further details.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

AVG free actually and they have run together on many PCs of mine without issue. I was merely pointing out that the AV product is probably pointing at the wrong download source as well.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

dabbersmate:

It is possible that some malware is blocking access to Spybot updates by adding entries to your HOSTS file.

The location of the HOSTS file is Windows OS (Operating System) dependent as follows:
    • Windows 95, 98 and ME
      C:\WINDOWS
    • Windows 2000
      C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    • Windows XP and Vista
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Check the following registry and make sure that it points to the correct location depending on the Windows OS you are running (note the system variable "%SystemRoot%" may be in the registry entry in place of the first note of the path name).

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
    "DataBasePath"
    If that registry entry does not point to the correct location, it would appear that something has overridden the normal location of the HOSTS file.

If that registry entry points to the correct location, open that file with Notepad and see if there are any entries pointing to safer-networking.org or www.safer-networking.org (see note #1).

Please report what you find and if there are any entries such as:
    • 127.0.0.1 safer-networking.org
    • 127.0.0.1 www.safer-networking.org

Note #1: Since Spybot 1.4, all updates in Spybot start by access a file from www.safer-networking.org (prior to Spybot 1.4 the update process accessed a file from www.security.kolla.de).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

First of all , sorry for digging up an old thread.
    Since i was googling on this im sure this could be helpfull for others.

Be sure to check out the host file as mentioned above, but spybot looks up its method of connecting to the update server from your connections settings in IE (it isent linked to IE anymore now i guess)

So if some malware set your settings to connect through a proxy (in my case a transparant one on 127.0.0.1) be sure to disable it

This piece of malware also changed the firefox proxy settings, making it crash on start after disabling the hidden proxy

Default Here is the solution for IE not being able to connect to internet.

OK, I almost never post solutions, but felt this is the time to do it.

Scenario: Client had a few hundred viruses...after I fixed them, I could not connect to the internet using IE...only Firefox.

Problem:

1 - IE (Internet Explorer) can not get out to the internet...error message is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

2 - Spybot cannot install or update...error message is "Connecting to 127.0.0.1..." then it errors out.

3 - Windows update will not work, since it MUST use IE to do so.

4 - Dloading latest IE using Firefox and installing IE does NOT fix problem.

5 - However, Firefox DOES work...there is nothing wrong with the HOSTS file...I *can* ping www.google.com, etc.

SOLUTION: Change IE Connection & Proxy & LAN Settings.

Basically, you have to go into IE settings, Connections Tab, Delete any Dialup and VPN Entries, and then click on button labeled LAN Settings and uncheck all of the boxes (at least, this is what I did for IE 8....other versions could be different). This includes uncheck "Autodetect settings" and Proxy options.

Yee-hah...fixed it for me...good luck to all.

-Spikeman

I just wanted to say thank you!! I downloaded SpyBot on an infected computer to help clean it up, as IE was not connecting to the internet. Then SpyBot couldn't update, which lead me to google the SpyBot problem and ended up helping me fix multiple problems

Thanks so much!!

Nice to hear shadarap. Thanks for the feedback.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default thanks

I use firefox and would have never figured out that the spyware had a proxy in my ie8 and that was preventing me from updating all of my programs including windows update. I got rid of the spyware by manually updating windows defender and then found this forum post because I couldn't install my FAVORITE spyware software spybot. Thanks again for the help i was considering a reformat, but have prevented it all from this little post.

Default I'm glad it worked!

I saw in my email that Shadarap posted that it worked for him too...I was glad to hear that...I dunno...it somehow made my day that my post helped someone else...ha...pretty funny.

C ya.