Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opera Immunization Broken

Exclamation

...and it turns out it does still fail to detect Opera's configuration files.

Lightbulb

ok, I have discovered the problem...apparently Spybot only looks for three things:
    1. a plugin-ignore.ini in the defaults directory of the Opera installation
    2. a plugin-ignore.ini in the profile directory of the Opera application data directory
    3. urlfilter.ini and cookies4.dat, but only if there is an opera6.ini file in Opera's program directory...and it appears as if Spybot defaults to looking for them in Opera's program directory.

and I am perfectly willing to bend over backwards to accommodate Spybot's oddities, as long as I know how
    Last edited by lewisje; 2010-07-23 at 18:59. Reason: lol

Good work, lewisje! I first verified that Spybot still didn't detect Opera after the latest 7/21/10 definitions update with all of the configuration files in the \profile subdirectory. I then confirmed that Spybot did indeed detect Opera if there was an opera6.ini file in the main \Program Files\Opera directory. However, I found that the urlfilter.ini and cookies4.dat files also had to be in the same \Program Files\Opera directory in order for Spybot to immunize Opera. It wouldn't do it if those files remained in the \profile subdirectory as before. Very quirky.

So, something's definitely changed with Spybot after the recent definitions update as you initially noted. The opera6.ini file is a holdover from the Opera 9.xx days and is no longer used AFAIK. And it normally resides in the \profile subdirectory along with urlfilter.ini and cookies4.dat. At any rate, whatever the reason for this new strange state of affairs, I can now get Spybot to immunize Opera by Mickey Mouse-ing around with the config files and locations. Thanks!

BTW, I do not have the plugin-ignore.ini files you mentioned.
    Last edited by Eagle2a; 2010-07-26 at 07:30.

Lightbulb

Normally Opera uses the plugin-ignore.ini file in Opera's defaults directory

Also I found that if there is an opera6.ini file in the profile directory, Spybot will look for urlfilter.ini and cookies4.dat there too...so the root of the problem is that Opera moved from using opera6.ini to operaprefs.ini and Spybot never learned to look for operaprefs.ini instead

Hm, that's interesting but it's not the root cause of the problem since as you initially stated in posting this thread, Spybot was still able to detect and immunize Opera until the July 14 definitions update. I already suspected and agree that Spybot does look for the outdated opera6.ini file but it was working fine until that update, at which point we now have to place the opera6.ini file in the \Program Files\Opera directory where it never resided before.

It also appears that some major changes in the definitions update file occurred around that time as I suddenly noticed that Spybot was loading much faster. It used to take around 4 to 5 minutes to load, but now it seems to be under 2 minutes.

BTW, I finally understood what you meant by the defaults directory and I did locate the plugin-ignore.ini file. I was looking for it in the \Windows\Application Data directory instead of the main \Program Files directory.
    Last edited by Eagle2a; 2010-08-05 at 07:07.