Thread: Message about temp files before scan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Message about temp files before scan

I started a system scan and got a popup asking something about a number of temp files(?) on my system. A timer qounted down and few seconds later the message disappeared before I even understood what it was about.

Please do a program change on the next update of Spybot Search & Destroy; do not let the popup disappear after just a few seconds.

I do not read English language very fast, not fast at all actually. I ask that your program does not take decissions on my behalf just because I need time to read, think, and understand the question and my options!

Otherwise I am quite happy with your program, I've been using S&D for many years. I have one other issue though, but it's another topic.

Version: S&D build 1.6.2.46 (AFAIK the the latest one).

Why not change SpyBot Search & Destroy's language to one you are familiar with?

How to switch the language

Thanks, but I am using Norwegian language, and some things are not translated.

Anyway, this would have been an issue also if the popup message was in my native language, because I do not like the concept of only having a few seconds to make a decission.

I didn't expect the message so I was unprepared. But anyway, the countdown timer is not needed, it should wait and not make any decissions on my behalf. I can do that extra mouse click.
    Last edited by Lancelot; 2010-07-27 at 19:43.

I didn't know about incomplete translation. Perhaps that will be addressed in SpyBot Search & Destroy 2.x if it's ever released.

I regularly use Crap Cleaner to remove all the temp files that clutter things up, so have rarely been asked by SpyBot Search & Destroy.

I have not encountered that message for sometime, so I am unsure if the program automatically cleans it up for you or not.

Frankly, I think this is a good thing. Temporary files are redundant files left over from installations, uninstallations, browsers, etc. They serve no use to the user. Besides, this might be a good thing because some spyware might lurk in the temp. folders on your machine (I am not saying they do on your machine, but I am saying it in general).

I think I have a solution, however it is up to you to decision whether to use it. What I propose is that you can disable this prompt if you wish, if you find it bothering you.

Turn Spybot GUI into Advanced Mode>Settings (Main tab on left side)>Settings (submenu). The "Automation" component will determine if Spybot will prompt you again in the future.
    Screenshot is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I have not encountered that message for sometime, so I am unsure if the program automatically cleans it up for you or not.

Frankly, I think this is a good thing. Temporary files are redundant files left over from installations, uninstallations, browsers, etc. They serve no use to the user. Besides, this might be a good thing because some spyware might lurk in the temp. folders on your machine (I am not saying they do on your machine, but I am saying it in general).

I think I have a solution, however it is up to you to decision whether to use it. What I propose is that you can disable this prompt if you wish, if you find it bothering you.

Turn Spybot GUI into Advanced Mode>Settings (Main tab on left side)>Settings (submenu). The "Automation" component will determine if Spybot will prompt you again in the future.
    Screenshot is attached.
    Yes I agree that deleting temp files is a good thing. It's just that I don't like the program to be so impatient with the user and make decissions for him.

Thanks for offering a solution though. I had actually looked in those settings but somehow I missed that option (there's soo many settings and options).