Thread: Spybot S&D problem!! (hhctrl.ocx) PLS HELP!!

Default Spybot S&D problem!! (hhctrl.ocx) PLS HELP!!

Hey guys, i recently installed the spybot s&d on my vista home premium 32 bit. the next day, when i turned on my computer, i get this message abt spybots&d bad image.exe and something wrong with the hhctrl.ocx in system 32. I heard the file is an activex file. what seems to be the problem here???

p.s: is it due to the AC3 filter codec installation??? because before i shut down my PC last nite, i installed the codec right after i installed spybot. then, the next time i turned on the PC, which was today, the conflict started to take effect.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE SCREENSHOT OF MY PROBLEM I ATTACHED

Well, you heard correct. ActiveX should be associated with Microsoft Internet Explorer. A quick search on Google told me that it had to do with displaying the user interface of IE.

I have never experienced or seen this problem before; not from Spybot reporting it.

Can you still use Spybot and your codecs the next day?
    Can you put your media aside, uninstall the codecs, restart the pc, and see if you still see this problem? If you do, try reinstalling Spybot. I guess uninstalling it (restart is recommended, just take that extra few minutes) and reinstalling it will do.

Be sure to download the installer from Spybot's homepage.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    -
    Did you make sure that the codecs you downloaded were from a legitimate site? I was worried that it might be bundled with bad things if you downloaded from some bad reputation site.

Esteemed Member

hhctrl.ocx is a Windows system file. Installing the ac3 filter will not have affected it in any way, it is completely unrelated.

please state the version of Windows (including service pack number).

Does IE work normally?

If not you could try using sfc ('system file checker' scans and replaces corrupt or missing system files)

For XP: click start run, type sfc /scannow [note space between c and /] click OK or press enter. It may ask for your Windows CD. Restart your PC, see if the problem has been resolved.

If Vista or Windows 7 see how to run sfc http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I would uninstall Spybot, restart your PC and reinstall.
    Last edited by Rosenfeld; 2010-08-02 at 16:39.

Esteemed Member

I meant to add if you want more info on system file checker, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

thanks alot, appreciate it. ran the sfc/scannow, seem to be working now