Thread: Spybot and Firefox fail to open.

Default Spybot and Firefox fail to open.

Just edited somthing I just said on a mozilla forum, but:

God knows why this has happened, but basically, Firefox no longer opens at all. The process begins to open then the memory will peak at around 18-20,000k and then the CPU % will drop to 0 and it'll just drop to around 3,000k and hang until I kill the Firefox process.

With regards to Spybot, it'll openand ask me if I'd like to clear my temp folder as per usual, but after this, it will not progress any further.

It all started about an hour ago when Firefox suddenly crashed when I tried to open some random link. Tried to reopen it immediately after it crashed and nothing happened. So I restarted my PC. FF still wouldn't open. So I gave Safe Mode a go, disabled everything, but after that menu, the same problem occured again. Firefox just wouldn't open.

So I thought that maybe my profile may have been corrupt, so I made a new one and set FF to allow me to choose a profile when it opens. Choosing the new profile, even in Safe Mode still leads to the same problem of it reaching around 18-20,000k before the CPU gives up and drops it to 0%.

I thought maybe it was something to do with Java, so I uninstalled that from my PC and reinstalled it via Opera. Opera is a bit annoying though since it doesn't open every web page, so I've had to resort to IE for now.

For what it's worth, Spybot S&D no longer opens either and follows the same problem, so whatever the root cause for FF not opening may be related to something it shares with Spybot?

Not a clue what's going on here, but it's really annoying.

Hi,there.
    I had a peek on the Firefox forum,and saw that you posted that your laptop had unfortunately crashed,and you were trying to save the data on your laptop.
    Not sure if you were able to save the data,but I thought this might give you some ideas,if you need help with that,or whatnot:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4544795_reco...ard-drive.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/

Haha, thanks for the concern.

Luckily I've managed to get my PC up and running again, after many stressful hours.

But I've ordered a new HDD just in case, I'm not taking any chances. I am definitely looking for ways of cloning the contents of this hard drive on to a new one though.

Still trying to get Firefox and Spybot working again though, but I'm being extremely tentative, just in case my laptop dies again.

can't edit my post, but i may have spoken too soon.

i tried that malbytes program or whatever and it seems that it strained my hard drive enough to force another crash....

got it back again, but this is getting tiresome.

going to have to baby my laptop

If a program like MBAM is crashing your labtop, like shutting it off abruptly then we have a problem. I have no clue whether this is hardware related or not.

How much resources does your machine have? Like can you name the specs?
    -
    PS: You can only edit your post within 15 minutes after you have posted it.

Babying the laptop sounds like a good idea.

I didn't find much on the Firefox problem,other than what you've already tried.

When the computer crashes,what happens?Do you get any error messages,blue screens,etc?And what operating system do you have?

Hi,drragostea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Babying the laptop sounds like a good idea.

I didn't find much on the Firefox problem,other than what you've already tried.

When the computer crashes,what happens?Do you get any error messages,blue screens,etc?And what operating system do you have?

Hi,drragostea.
    No error messages.

I just heard the hard drive clicking less frequently as it scanned certain files which I guess were larger, it was intermittent so I left as is. Then it froze, crashed and I had to shut down. No error messages, no BSOD and I am still running Vista Ultimate.

This actually gives me a good excuse to jump to Windows 7 thinking about it. Maybe.

I was thinking that the hard drive may have some bad sectors, but chkdsk didn't return any major problems iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    If a program like MBAM is crashing your labtop, like shutting it off abruptly then we have a problem. I have no clue whether this is hardware related or not.

How much resources does your machine have? Like can you name the specs?
    -
    PS: You can only edit your post within 15 minutes after you have posted it.
    I've had the same M1330 for the last 3 years now, and in short it has:

2.00Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    160GB HDD
    Geforce 8300M

Either way about it, I'm in the process of backing most of my other stuff up and ordered a 500gb hard drive to hopefully clone on to.

Just trying to find all my user preferences and stuff because some are saved in my program files folder and others in the appdata folders...which is a massive pain in the arse.

The hard drive was clicking?Is that normal on your laptop,or has it just started since you've been having the crash/freezing problems?

I ended up having to reformat my PC and things were okay...kinda. So my spybot and Firefox

Just as I got things back up and running, I decided to try and "upgrade" my Vista installation to SP1. I then got the oxc01a001d error in the final stage of updating. It is now a lost cause to continue using that hard drive and I plan on using a 500gb hdd I recently bought.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Sorry to hear all the troubles you've had with your first hard drive.Thanks for letting us know.